Hahneman or Pennsylvania Hospital for Delivery? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 08-15-2011, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I think I have it narrowed down to these two hospitals for delivery.  I am wondering if anybody has any experience with either one?  Both have a number of midwives on the staff, and it seems like either would be a good fit for us -- I could use a midwife, but they should both have excellent back-up care if needed.  Any input is much appreciated! Thank you. 

#2 of 13 Old 08-15-2011, 01:14 PM

I've heard wonderful things about Pennsylvania.  I don't know anyone who delivered at Hahnamann.  I don't think they are really known for their L&D like Pennsylvania is.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#3 of 13 Old 08-15-2011, 05:06 PM

I delivered at Pennsy (it was great) and know dozens of others who did (some with wonderful experiences, others who have lots of complaints).  I haven't heard of anyone delivering at Hahnemann.  I know a few nurses who work at H in the trauma center and rehab dept, and they always have crazy stories, but what they witness may be common in all city hospitals, and not limited to H.  Typically, when choosing a hospital in town, Pennsy and HUP are the two contenders.  Jefferson is making strides to be baby friendly, but I've yet to meet someone who hasn't switched to Pennsy after their experience at Jeff.  Pennsy has a google group (Pennsymoms) where many who have delivered there go into every detail, good and bad, about their experiences there.   You can search the archives or ask a specific question to the group.

#4 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 07:45 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you both so much! I've gone ahead and made an appoint with Pennsylvania.  I'm feeling pretty positive about it now, so hopefully it will be a good experience.  I have to wait a few weeks (maybe that is because they are in demand because they are good? I'm hoping so!), but I feel so much better now that I've made the appointment. 

#5 of 13 Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 AM

"in demand": yes.  There was an article in the Inquirer this summer about families staying in the city, and one tidbit was that from 1990-1999, there were 700 or 800 babies born to Center City families.  From 2000 to 2008, there were 17,000.  There is a baby boom, and the demand for everything from prenatal services to pediatricians to preschools to primary education outpaces the supply.  There will be waits, but the care is quite good.

#6 of 13 Old 08-17-2011, 02:09 PM

Stay away from Hahneman. I have a family member who works there in that unit and it's not the place you want if you're seeking a staff that will work with your birth plan and respect your wishes. They are VERY intervention-happy and several staff members have mocked natural childbirth choices. I wasn't even aware that they had actual midwives on staff there. If there are they are most likely "medwives." They also have issues with being breastfeeding friendly.

Jenn treehugger.gifmama to Monkeylearning.gifSquishyenergy.gif& Riverangel1.gif(8wks)Wife to Mikejog.gif See you at the rainbow1284.gif Bridge, Abigael cat.gifand McKenna dog2.gifgd.gifnamaste.giffamilybed2.gifbellyhair.gifcaffix.gifcrochetsmilie.gifom.gifknit.gifcomputergeek2.gif

#7 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Pennsy gets a ton of credit b/c of the midwifery care and more especially the birthing suites. However, statistically speaking, they have a 37% C/S rate. Many have great experiences, and I've had a few there, too, when all goes really well with absolutely no hiccups or questions. If you make it through your pregnancy like a straightforward shot, the birthing suite/midwife/natural birth friendly nurse idea can be lovely. It's just that that often doesn't happen for many originally planning on it. Ask how often they are used. You'd think at least daily, right? More like once every couple weeks. I can't count at this point how many clients I've had planning a natural birth there and for some reason another more testing is demanded at the end of pregnancy "just in case" and induction follows at some point soon after. Too many times. Hahnemann is less popular b/c its your basic L & D and since I've never had a client go through prenatal care with their practices or attended a birth there, I can only say two things: their c/s rate is a 23.1%, tied for the lowest in not only the city but for all five counties in the surrounding Phila area, excusing Jennersville at 21.9% in ChesterCo. That says something to me. Secondly, a good friend of mine is a L&D nurse there and says although she sees plenty of inductions, she also sees a VBAC there probably everyday, and it is considered normal as most trying are successful. I'm sorry, but that is pretty amazing considering some other hospitals in the area don't see hardly any all year long and think, in general, they are dangerous and have a high failure rate. Says alot. Again, never been there, don't know how friendly and flexible they'd be, but in my experience, the hospitals with the highest c/s rates are usually the strictest and least flexible in supporting various natural birth plans and the ones with the lowest c/s rates are at least more flexible and less strict. It very well could be that the natural birthing center city/s.philly crowd/word of mouth folks haven't gotten past the idea of Pennsy. ? Who knows.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#8 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 06:37 AM

Also, I know two other doulas who've been to Albert Einstein and said they loved it there so much they'd go there themselves to have a baby if they needed to choose a hospital birth. I've also heard great things from a woman I met whose had all her babies at Einstein and her doc (a woman - I forget her name) was on call for her (solo practice) each time! That's hard to find anymore.

Then, there's Temple (tied with Hahnemann for lowest c/s rate) where the wonderful OB, Dr. Gail ? (forget her last name) practices.

There ARE other places, just saying! :)

Just that the natural birth crowd tends to live in center city/s.philly or w. philly and that, I think, is why the message is out about HUP vs. Pennsy all the time. They all have positives, they all have negatives. I personally do not dig the triage idea at both - and wonder if all the city hospitals do it that way or only them b/c they manage such high number of births and maybe the others don't. I'll have to ask my friend...

Peace to you with your decision, care, and birth!

It's never a bad idea to go on a few consults and make a fully informed decision after asking them all the tough questions. You'll find your match best that way, plus getting to experience how the offices are run, if you feel treatment is personalized, etc.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#9 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 07:15 AM

Hey, you're talking about me!!!  I freaking love Einstein.  They practice informed consent, they don't care if you choose to do something that is against the norm, they have an awesome VBAC rate....  I could go on and on about Einstein.  The location leaves a bit to be desired, but I would go there in a heartbeat if I needed to have a baby in a hospital.  What hospital do you know of that gives informed consent for postpartum pit, AND waits for an answer before administering it?  Amazing lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tatum View Post

Also, I know two other doulas who've been to Albert Einstein and said they loved it there so much they'd go there themselves to have a baby if they needed to choose a hospital birth. I've also heard great things from a woman I met whose had all her babies at Einstein and her doc (a woman - I forget her name) was on call for her (solo practice) each time! That's hard to find anymore.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#10 of 13 Old 09-01-2011, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2tatum View Post

Pennsy gets a ton of credit b/c of the midwifery care and more especially the birthing suites. However, statistically speaking, they have a 37% C/S rate. Many have great experiences, and I've had a few there, too, when all goes really well with absolutely no hiccups or questions. If you make it through your pregnancy like a straightforward shot, the birthing suite/midwife/natural birth friendly nurse idea can be lovely. It's just that that often doesn't happen for many originally planning on it. Ask how often they are used. You'd think at least daily, right? More like once every couple weeks. I can't count at this point how many clients I've had planning a natural birth there and for some reason another more testing is demanded at the end of pregnancy "just in case" and induction follows at some point soon after. Too many times. Hahnemann is less popular b/c its your basic L & D and since I've never had a client go through prenatal care with their practices or attended a birth there, I can only say two things: their c/s rate is a 23.1%, tied for the lowest in not only the city but for all five counties in the surrounding Phila area, excusing Jennersville at 21.9% in ChesterCo. That says something to me. Secondly, a good friend of mine is a L&D nurse there and says although she sees plenty of inductions, she also sees a VBAC there probably everyday, and it is considered normal as most trying are successful. I'm sorry, but that is pretty amazing considering some other hospitals in the area don't see hardly any all year long and think, in general, they are dangerous and have a high failure rate. Says alot. Again, never been there, don't know how friendly and flexible they'd be, but in my experience, the hospitals with the highest c/s rates are usually the strictest and least flexible in supporting various natural birth plans and the ones with the lowest c/s rates are at least more flexible and less strict. It very well could be that the natural birthing center city/s.philly crowd/word of mouth folks haven't gotten past the idea of Pennsy. ? Who knows.

I have the 2009 stats from the state.

Hahnemann: 2,152 births, 570 CS (26.5%), 82 RCS, 37 VBAC (31%)

Pennsy: 4,826 births, 1,844 CS (38.2%), 611 RCS, 94 VBAC (13.3%)

HUP: 4,083 births, 1,064 CS (26.1%), 439 RCS, 142 VBAC (24.4%)

(BTW, for sheer raw number of VBACs, HUP is 2nd in the state, behind Magee--which I expected to be first due to volume; they do so many more births than anywhere else that they're nearly guaranteed to lead in all the raw figures.)

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#11 of 13 Old 09-11-2011, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the advice / input.  I was a little worried about the c-section rates at Pennsylvania (they handed me papers at my first appoint that included the "fact" that 1 in 3 births is a cesarean, that seems ridiculously high!).

However, at my first appointment, I had a wonderful experience, and considering that I almost never go to doctors and certainly never to a gyn and was absolutely terrified, that was really important to me.  The midwife was very calming and reassuring, and when she talked about all the tests that they offer, was sort of neutral but really also sort of discouraging about getting them done, saying it was all up to me (we have no intention of doing anything that's optional), which was a relief to me. 

I think at my next appointment I will ask her about the c-section rates.  I have a suspicion that their rates may be high because people who already have problems/complications may pick Pennsylvania because it does have a such a specialty of obstetrics, so I am hoping that accounts for part of it.  I am also hoping she tells me that people who see midwives (and therefore probably already have a lower-risk profile) have a lower rate . . . but we'll see what I find out at my next appointment.  I have a really good feeling about Pennsylvania for everything so far except that statistic!  But I'm still open to switching at this point if I have to.

Thanks again!

#12 of 13 Old 09-11-2011, 11:11 AM

Thanks for posting 2009, Alexis, I only had 2008 detailed stats right next to me. Everything has gone up, what a surprise! ;)

And yes, Amy, you're not alone on Einstein either. I'm looking forward to experiencing a birth at both Hahnemann and Einstein to feel the vibe...

Good luck at Pennsy, OP - go with where you feel most comfortable! I'd be sure to ask questions about Triage policies, end of pregnancy testing leading to inductions, how they induce, laborists (usually low risk patients coming into l & d get a mw), etc. Oh and hire a doula! I forget if you mentioned doing that or not! :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post

I have the 2009 stats from the state.

Hahnemann: 2,152 births, 570 CS (26.5%), 82 RCS, 37 VBAC (31%)

Pennsy: 4,826 births, 1,844 CS (38.2%), 611 RCS, 94 VBAC (13.3%)

HUP: 4,083 births, 1,064 CS (26.1%), 439 RCS, 142 VBAC (24.4%)

(BTW, for sheer raw number of VBACs, HUP is 2nd in the state, behind Magee--which I expected to be first due to volume; they do so many more births than anywhere else that they're nearly guaranteed to lead in all the raw figures.)

#13 of 13 Old 03-13-2014, 10:57 AM

Is anyone looking for a nanny to start immediately?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page