Tell me about SW NY (Olean/Portville area) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 08-17-2011, 03:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My partner and I are thinking of buying a house in the area, and I'd like to get an idea of what the culture is like.  Any other crunchy parents in the area?  Midwives, alternative schools, holistic pedis, etc.?  I'd especially love to meet other homesteaders in the area, but I'm guessing there aren't many.  Any opinions or information at all would be helpful.

~Tristan~ malesling.GIF

Co-parent to Badger Boy with my beautiful partner Max.  

Photographer. Pagan. Pierced & Tattooed Punk.

#2 of 14 Old 09-16-2013, 01:37 PM

I so wish I had asked these questions before moving here from Vegas... Finding bulk herbs was a chore, our midwife hunt is going no where ugh!
#3 of 14 Old 09-17-2013, 12:38 PM

The area pretty uncrunchy. No holistic pediatricians, the pediatricians around here push antibiotics, vaccines and are very misinformed when it comes to nutritional information. there are 2 midwives but they only deliver at the hospital (which is stuck in the stone age. No LC, ban on VBAC, no rooming in, no delayed cord clamping unless you fight for it)
Tops (chain grocery store) has a small section of organic fruits, veggies and other foods. Thats your best option for groceries. There are some farms, like The Canticle Farm in Allegany (not officially USDA organic, but uses organic practices) it is very nice. You just have to search.
I recently moved back to Allegany (Allegany's school district is better than Olean) after living in Poughkeepsie, NY for 5 years. I regret moving back, the only good thing is the area is relatively cheap. I'm 5 months pregnant with my second child will be driving to Buffalo to have a VBAC. This area is too far for midwives to come to a home birth. I have a 2 year old girl and am considering homeschooling. My hubby recently started a new job where he will be gone for 6 months a year, so I'd love to me meet like-minded people.
#4 of 14 Old 09-17-2013, 12:44 PM

The alternative school is a christian school then there is a Catholic High School called Archbishop Walsh.
#5 of 14 Old 09-17-2013, 01:08 PM

My husband was raised in this area and my MIL teaches at Walsh. I have visited but not spent much time there...there isn't much to do with kids, we usually end up kinda bored. It does seem to be very mainstream and a homogenous place...my inlaws think I am nuts...wouldn't speak to us after we decided to homebirth and delay vax, though they did get over that smile.gif I realized over time that they are just not into doing things out of the ordinary...don't know if that is just them, or a cultural thing. My husband loved growing up there however, lots of outdoor stuff to do, skiing, hiking etc. He went to Allegany public schools all the way through as did his sisters. Their family is heavy on the sciences, parents are an engineer and math teacher, my husband is an engineer, one sis a chemist, other is a surgeon. If there is anything you want me to find put for you, I would be happy to ask them.
#6 of 14 Old 09-17-2013, 01:20 PM

I also grew up in Olean & Allegany. Hubby grew up in Olean. I went to Allegany high school, he went to Olean.
The area is very economically depressed which accounts for the cheaper cost of living. This area is very slow to evolve. People are stuck in their ways. Not much diversity, you will notice lots of bars and churches.
bohemian momma likes this.
#7 of 14 Old 09-17-2013, 01:33 PM

It must be a town culture thing. My Aunt, who we are staying with as we save money to buy our homestead, is a nurse at OGH and is freaking out about me not wanting an ob/gyn to deliver my baby. The whole home birth, nonvac, crunchiness of our tribe irritates her to no end. I was born and raised in Las Vegas so this move is still shocking me. Trying to find natural meats is making me bonkers. I can't wait to buy land and live sustainably smile.gif
#8 of 14 Old 09-17-2013, 05:16 PM

Bohemian Mama,
For natural meats straight from the farm check on Shag Bark Farm on the West River Rd, in between Olean and Allegany. They sellnatural ground beef. Kamery's on the East River Rd, in Olean, I'm told has natural beef. I don't know if they have websites or what the prices are but I was told the meat is very good tasting.
bohemian momma likes this.
#9 of 14 Old 09-30-2013, 08:36 AM

My hubby found a local doula, yay, however her suggestion was buffalo as well. If I had fewer kiddos this would work but lack of funds and a tribe prohibits us doing that trek. Now my concern is my 23 month old nurses, and I'm pretty sure OGH will not be cool with that. Ugh, makes me really wish I was back in Vegas.
#10 of 14 Old 09-30-2013, 09:50 AM

OGH, will tell you to stop nursing because it can cause preterm labor, blah, blah. The doctors (not only here, in general) have very little knowledge of breastfeeding. I wouldn't tell them. They don't need to know. You can go to Buffalo and have a VBAC friendly doctor, that insurance would cover. If you decide to go c-section, they can do it so that it's as natural as possible meaning delayed cord clamping, baby to chest immediately, etc. you may need to fight for it but it would be worth your while.
Would you mind sharing the name of the local doula you found?
#11 of 14 Old 09-30-2013, 12:35 PM

I'll ask my hubby when he gets home from work. smile.gif I'm avoiding hospitals at all costs. Frankly, the backwoods thought process out here freaks me out. I'd rather have a UC than deal with craziness. My Aunt works at OGH and I still wouldn't set foot in there. They seem pretty archaic. I'm doing alot of reading up.. Lots of Ina-May *♡* and Heart and Hands. I just miss the birth community feel. I looked up childbirth educators and only found the birth class at the hospital. I don't need the classes, I'd just like to meet like minded mommas in the same boat, ya know.
#12 of 14 Old 09-30-2013, 01:03 PM

Coudersport's Cole Memorial Hospital is more progressive, they have LCs, etc. they are about 45 minutes away. Its another option.
I know how you feel , it would be nice to have some like-minded support. I'm always up to meet if you want. I have a 26 month old daughter.
#13 of 14 Old 10-03-2013, 11:58 AM

Ok Courtney Ingham is the name of the doula. And we are still pushing the midwife hunt. Life is crazy enough right now without this stress. Luckily my big kids are helping out and keeping calm with our crazy life. We could totally meet up, my youngest is 23months. Maybe a park day, before it gets to chilly smile.gif
#14 of 14 Old 10-09-2013, 11:29 AM

Thanks.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page