Crunchy Long Island? Please tell me its not just a myth! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 08-19-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies, I am a recent transplant from AZ (although I grew up on Long Island) and I am having a hard time finding a groove here in terms of "finding my tribe." There just seems to be no natural living consciousness here at all, especially in terms of child-rearing. Its mainstream media, made in China all the way, baby. At leasy where I am on the south shore. Any other crunchy mamas out there have advice on which communities are the most eco-conscious, farmer's markets, bike paths, etc.? Any advice is much appreciated!

#2 of 22 Old 08-19-2011, 01:53 PM

Hey. I grew up on the South Shore and depending on where you are, it isn't too crunchy. Out east is a little better but not much.

You can check out LocalHarvest.org (http://www.localharvest.org/farmers-markets/) for a listing for farmer's markets. I don't know how much it's updated though. I think there might still be one in Islip village.

Heckscher State Park (http://www.nysparks.com/parks/136/details.aspx) at the end of Southern State is pretty nice if you're looking for bike paths or a place to walk around with a stroller. There's also the Massapequa State Park. That's kinda hidden but near the train station in Massapequa (or so I am told). I think that one goes almost down to the beach.

What part are you in? I grew up in Babylon and now live in Ronkonkoma. And I know what you mean by it not being too crunchy.

Mom to DD 12/2009; married to wonderful hubby 1/07.
#3 of 22 Old 08-19-2011, 05:49 PM

Welcome to Long Island! And, sadly, it's not very crunchy here. I grew up in Seattle, and miss it.

I'm on the north shore, in Port Washington, but I have lived all over Long Island. I'm currently pregnant with my first child, and know that raising my child the way I want to here is going to be challenging.

I know there is a farmers market on the weekends out in Deer Park, at the outlet mall. I haven't been to it, but I've heard it's a good one.

Chelsea, loving mama to Landon, born 11/3

#4 of 22 Old 08-28-2011, 11:24 AM - Thread Starter

Yes, it is quite frustrating for me because I feel I cannot give my children the environment I believe they would thrive best in. We always need to use a car, we rarely walk anywhere except the park, any play friends are into Super Heroes, guns and the like and I am kinda feeling like I am up against a wall in an uphill battle I will eventually lose! That is a scary thought because it is very important to me for my children to have big values and to be raised compassionately towards others, the environment, etc.

Have either of you had any luck finding like-minded mamas in either of your towns?

Thanks for the responses!

:-)

#5 of 22 Old 09-09-2011, 12:42 PM

have you tried to find your nearest HMN chapter?  I am on the south shore and we have one. 

Where about are you located?

#6 of 22 Old 09-09-2011, 03:27 PM

try meetup.com... i'm having good luck in upstate finding some fellow crunchies...good luck

#7 of 22 Old 09-13-2011, 08:30 PM

If you're in Nassau, there's the Mother's Center of SW Nassau that meets  in the Baptist Church in E. Rockaway.  It has a  lot of mainstream Mamas, but there are also quite a few crunchy mamas.  It's a great group with a lot of activities, a good preschool program, activities for moms (like yoga, book club, knitting) often while members provide child care in the same building, etc. 

There is the Natural Mothering Forum which meets up in suffolk county...they have a yahoo group you could search for.  There is also a LI babywearing group that probably has some cross over with these other groups.   As far as "eco-friendly" towns, unless you go out East, I think that's harder to find....  There's a farmer's market in RVC but I'm not sure if it's sat or sun morning.  I think there's one in Westbury, Amityville I think...there is also more than one organic CSA that deliver weekly veggie shares to various areas.

There is a Long Island thread in "finding your tribe" from long ago.  It may be archived now.  I don't post often any more so am not sure...What area do you live in so I can direct you to more stuff?

#8 of 22 Old 09-15-2011, 05:49 PM

I'm in Suffolk's north shore and I know just one person who thinks like me, so I totally relate to your concern!   My crunchier lifestyle started after my son was born.  Suddenly, certain things became very important to me, and certain decisions I saw other parents make became unacceptable and intolerable to me.  There is a meetup group I found but it was more for moms of babies and toddlers.  My child is in grade school.  I'm the lone crunchy that scans labels for corn syrup and artificial ingredients and avoids television.  School kids seem mostly into video games and Star Wars, makes me sad.  Tomorrow I plan on getting a bike rack and buying my first bike in like 20 years, and will be looking for bike trails to enjoy with my son.  I am thinking of joining a bike club, maybe will meet other parents with similar ideals there.

#9 of 22 Old 09-17-2011, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the reponses! I am in Massapequa on the south shore. There is nothing in the way of natural living/parenting in this area, unfortunately. I will ook into all of your great suggestions and let you know how it turns out! Throw out any more ideas my way if you have some...much appreciated :-)

#10 of 22 Old 09-20-2011, 09:10 AM

attachment parenting of suffolk county meeting this friday at emma clark library in east setauket!  we have a yahoo group too that has more information.

10/16/09 8/20/08
#11 of 22 Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 PM

I'm in suffolk county. It's VERY hard finding more "crunchy" parents here. I respect my friends choices for their kids, but my view of parenting is so different that it's hard to relate. I'm more east, so i'm lucky we have a lot of farms. And i'm not a super crunchy parent..i'm more crispy lol but it's still hard to have the lifestyle i'd ideally like for my son as far as more natural approaches. I am actually pretty familiar with Massapequa..my mom grew up there, lives there now as does my brother.
#12 of 22 Old 10-15-2011, 12:57 PM

Hey - Welcome to Long Island!  We need more crunchy people here!  My husband and I recently opened ZenWay Natural Food Market on main street in Bay Shore to provide a haven for such like minded people...as we despair at life on Long island sometimes.  Since we are to be here for awhile we are going to try and help create the environment we want/love!  We hope our store can be a meeting place for all sort of groups.  The store has good vibes! More murals going up next week.  Please come visit! You can also check us out on facebook.

Next month we are launching our online ordering and delivery of natural/organic foods and goods and vitamins.  We figure that will help busy parents!

There is also a lot of great music on Long Island.  I'll keep thinking of stuff and let you know.  But again, welcome!

#13 of 22 Old 10-17-2011, 07:01 AM

Yes..there are many outdoor activities. I know by me there's the strawberry festival, polish fair, scottish fair, many pick your own farms etc So in the warmer weather months, there are nice family friendly activities. You can also find bike trails if you're into that as well. In the winter, so many people go sledding up at bald hill. I'm sure there are places out west you can go to. Check out the local library. They will know of activities and events in the area..maybe you will find some like-minded families that way :)

#14 of 22 Old 11-18-2011, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenwaymom View Post

Hey - Welcome to Long Island!  We need more crunchy people here!  My husband and I recently opened ZenWay Natural Food Market on main street in Bay Shore to provide a haven for such like minded people...as we despair at life on Long island sometimes.  Since we are to be here for awhile we are going to try and help create the environment we want/love!  We hope our store can be a meeting place for all sort of groups.  The store has good vibes! More murals going up next week.  Please come visit! You can also check us out on facebook.

Next month we are launching our online ordering and delivery of natural/organic foods and goods and vitamins.  We figure that will help busy parents!

There is also a lot of great music on Long Island.  I'll keep thinking of stuff and let you know.  But again, welcome!

I know this is a late reponse, but I didn't happen to meet you at a bridal shower this summer did I? I sat a table with a woman (friend of the bride) who was telling me she and her husband had just opened a natural food store in Bay Shore! The conversation came up after we were discussing the new Organic Corner market in Massapequa on Broadway and how she was originally planning to buy that business from the previous owners but decide don Bayshore instead. Coincidence?!?

#15 of 22 Old 08-31-2012, 10:02 PM

I'm moving to RVC from Tacoma, WA in January and wondering if any new groups have sprung up since then! I was also wondering if there are any fluffy co-ops in the area.

#16 of 22 Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 PM

We're way crunchy and may be moving to Suffolk county in May-June. We're looking at Queens too but LI is more likely a sure thing for us.

And I'm worried about the mainstream LI lifestyle being totally alienating! But I plan on starting or joining meetup groups, going to LL- whatever it takes. We'll find eachother, mamas!

Mama to my daughter born in February 2011.
#17 of 22 Old 01-15-2013, 07:02 PM

Hello,

I am so grateful to read your post. I am in Baldwin at the time. I would love to know about any groups or futher info you may have. I have a 3 yo girl. I will look into all you mentioned.I am feeling pretty alone over here. I hope to connect to other earthy/crunchy/homeschool types.  Hope all is good with you.

Thank you.

Kellina

#18 of 22 Old 01-15-2013, 07:05 PM

Hello,

How are you. I just moved to Baldwin on the border of RVC. I am looking for "my tribe".  How has it been for you... .did you find a co-op? We are in St. Marks.  What is a fluffy co-op.

Hope to hear from you.

Kellina

#19 of 22 Old 01-24-2013, 08:06 AM

Hi. I can't figure out how to get notifications so I have missed responses. We just got to town but are living in a sea of boxes. I will be trying to go to the RVC Rec in a few weeks for Roll Around Fun.  I will also be looking on Meetup. Keep in touch.

#20 of 22 Old 01-24-2013, 08:16 AM

In response to fluffy co-ops - I meant co-ops that sell cloth diapers and other fun baby stuff. I'm also hoping to find a food co-op for fruit and vegetables.

#21 of 22 Old 01-24-2013, 12:26 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)

luppymonster-You should be able to see notifications of responses by clicking on Subscriptions up at the top on the right.  Anytime you reply to a thread, you are automatically subscribed.  You can choose how you want to receive notifications also.  It can be site only, or by email, etc.  Welcome!

Married to a wonderful woman since 2010. Baby boy C arrived in June 2013!

Check out our User Agreement.
#22 of 22 Old 02-07-2013, 07:13 PM

Hi! I am in Rockville Centre and have the same issue... have been looking or more like minded people and it has not been easy.
That said there is a farmers market in RVC on Sunday mornings and there is a food co-op i saw posted at Revolution
Yoga. I also found some "crunchy" people in the several local united universalist congregations. There was also a place that sold alltypes of green products
ill try to think of it and posted again.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page