moving to Albany/Troy area - tell me about the town cultures - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2011, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

We're looking at moving to the Capital region in NY and want to be within about a 25 minute drive of Troy.  We have 2 kids (maybe a 3rd at some point) so schools are a consideration.   Have narrowed our search down to Clifton Park, Niskayuna, East Greenbush.  My husband and I spend a couple days driving through to see what the towns and neighborhoods looked like in CP and Niksy, but didn't get a chance to get to East Greenbush at all, so it's a complete unknown.

Our basic impressions were that CP didn't have much of a "there" there, IFKWIM.  No real town center, lots of McMansions, but had some nice walking and bike trails, and we'd be able to get a bigger lot there.  (We dont care for a large house, but would like a little space, but would also like to still have some neighbors/a neighborhood, vs completely rural). 

Niskayuna struck us as a bit too urban, with smaller lots and most of the homes were older, might need some updating.  Also, I was hoping to see more of a town center for Nisky too, but there doesn't seem to be much of one.

I'm guessing, when it comes to school systems, that both of these places have fairly large schools with all that is good and bad.  Guessing (?) that East Greenbush system is a bit smaller, maybe a little less cliquey?

Anyway, looking for some comments about the general town cultures for each of these three places.  Snobby vs down to earth.  Crunchy vs mainstream, liberal vs conservative (both fiscally and socially) etc.  Any school-related comments are welcome too.  We're just trying to find our people. 

TIA!  Karen

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Bump - anyone live in the area who can help out with these questions?  There's another similar thread that was also posted today.  Help please!

Mom to James (ribboncesarean.gif 5/2006), Claire (vbac.gif 6/2008), furry kitties Calvin and Bob, and wife to Dennis. 

Old 09-30-2011, 07:05 AM

Hi there,

We live in Albany, but I know a bit about the other areas. Between all three of those towns you mentioned, Nisky would be my choice. Old Niskayuna does have an area you can walk to, like the food co-op and some stores and the library. The school district is the best of the ones you mentioned. The houses are probably the most expensive and taxes are probably the most expensive among the three.

Clifton Park is a bedroom community and you are right that there is no town center. It is full of strip malls and big roads without sidewalks. People consider the school district to be good, but it is *big*. I have two friends who just bought houses there and it is hard to walk to nearby parks or libraries because there aren't sidewalks and the roads are busy. You can get more house for your money there and taxes are lower.

East Greenbush would probably be my second choice, after Nisky. I don't think it has a town center per se, but the YMCA is beautiful and new and the library is right next to it. It also doesn't have much in the way of sidewalks because none of the suburbs around here do. I think the school district is probably average to good. Of all the places my gut tells me East Greenbush is the most conservative area because it's pretty rural.

I think in any area you will find some who are crunchier than others. The Honest Weight Food Co-Op in Albany has a Natural Family group that meets monthly. They may have contacts for other groups in those towns.

Hope that helps.

User Tag List