#1 of 13 Old 09-02-2011, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
#2 of 13 Old 09-07-2011, 07:55 AM

There is a family doctor at Magee who has expressed a willingness to deliver a breech baby vaginally.  Apparently, others have expressed a willingness to deliver a breech baby vaginally but said that ACOG forbids it.  I found my info through the Pittsburgh ICAN chapter and also through a local doula. 

My DD was breech and I had to deliver by c-section (in NYC).  I've been worrying about this since I got pregnant with with this one.

PM me if you want more details. 

Partner to DH and mom to DD1 (3/2008) and DD2 (born 1/2012).
#3 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 01:47 PM

As far as I understand it's not "illegal" it's lack of experience and the fact that PA has crazy high malpractice insurance here.  I do believe that the MWC said during my last pregnancy that Drs here just aren't experienced with it and therefore don't do it.  And frankly I wouldn't want someone with a lack of experience doing something like that.  So you go round and round.  I'm sure if the malpractice wasn't driving them out of the state they might be willing to get the experience but at this point for most their license isn't worth the risk.  That was what I got from the midwives in our conversation about it anyway.  The MWC won't do it because they have an over seeing OB/GYN who would never OK that to occur at the center and then if you go to the hospital Magee wouldn't allow it to happen either.

#4 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 05:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)

Quote:
As far as I understand it's not "illegal" it's lack of experience and the fact that PA has crazy high malpractice insurance here.  I do believe that the MWC said during my last pregnancy that Drs here just aren't experienced with it and therefore don't do it.  And frankly I wouldn't want someone with a lack of experience doing something like that.  So you go round and round.  I'm sure if the malpractice wasn't driving them out of the state they might be willing to get the experience but at this point for most their license isn't worth the risk.  That was what I got from the midwives in our conversation about it anyway.  The MWC won't do it because they have an over seeing OB/GYN who would never OK that to occur at the center and then if you go to the hospital Magee wouldn't allow it to happen either.

I disagree with part of this

my DS was breech until the last 4 hours and the OB I had was very experience (older and had done several breeches and also teaches) and simply was not allowed to by the hospitable and would loose privileges not to mention other ramifications 

it's far more the hospitable not the Drs. here that set the rules--they make others here in PA as well that many OB and MW disagree with, some bend and flat out lie to the hospitable on certain issues but breech----hospitals go crazy over it

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#5 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 05:33 PM

I don't know about your local area, but if are still breech in the 3rd trimester, I would look into chiropractic care. Find a chiropractor trained in the Webster technique. It is a gentle adjustment of the round ligaments and pelvis, and it is pretty effective. My doctor said that the only time it hasn't worked as when the mom came in at 39 weeks. By that point the baby didn't have much room to move.

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif
#6 of 13 Old 12-21-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

#7 of 13 Old 12-21-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Im seeing a chiropractor today and Friday. I have an accupuncture appointment on jan 7. 

you will need several apts (IF you go to a good chiro and a acupuncturist- if they tell you only need one treatment they are not good!) take a lot, several times a week! and get the Moxibustion sticks so it can be done on you at home

Quote:
 I will be having an ultrasound in 2 weeks. 

it's very easy to tell with a ultrasounds!- why are you have this done?

The ultrasound won't help you (they often turn during labor) so unless you are having other issues, it's of no use.

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#8 of 13 Old 12-21-2011, 04:09 PM

Did you check with your local ICAN chapter?  And, importantly, can you go out of state?

The politics around breech birth are complex, but here it goes: in order to practice in Pennsylvania you have to have malpractice insurance and, if you want to deliver babies, you have to have hospital privlidges.  So either your malpractice insurer or your hospital can keep you from attending breech births, even if you are experienced.  Add to that that this is the way it has been for years, and you have a situation where even if there was a hopsital willing to do it, and a malpractice insurance provider willing to still insure you, you'd still have a hard time getting the experience.

Frankly, I think the situation is absurd -- basically, it is "more legal" to force a woman to have major intraabdominal surgery than it is for a doctor to assist with the natural process.  But that sort of advocacy work will have to wait until after you bring your child into the world.

Anka

hippie.gifwife to DH, new mom to babyboy.gif 7/4/2011.  femalesling.GIF familybed1.gif BFPChart2.gif cd.gif knit.gif

"I remember my mother's prayers and they have followed me.  They have clung to me all my life." -- Abraham Lincoln. 

#9 of 13 Old 12-25-2011, 04:49 PM

Look into hypnosis to turn the baby as well. Hypnosis supposedly has a lot of success with turning breech babies. 

#10 of 13 Old 12-27-2011, 06:06 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Are you planning on doing the external version at the ultrasound then? That's usually around the time they'd do that, but they usually monitor the baby really closely and prepare you to be ready for an emergency cesarean as well. Although, I've found amongst my clients, they've had a lot of luck with a good doc turning a baby very gently and patiently during versions.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#11 of 13 Old 12-27-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

#12 of 13 Old 12-27-2011, 04:21 PM

my OB was opposed to doing an version because he felt that most likely our DS would not stay in that position and that many go from a version to an emergency C too fast (if I had opted for it I had to have the papers signed for the C prior to starting the version - this was the hosp requirement and not my OB's view as my best interest and also versions, at least in my are of PA are only done in the hosp! the chance of cord twisting it what I was told) -- I don't know what the case is with you or what the odds are that you can keep yours turned but I did have an experienced OB how felt most do turn with the aid of accupunture and also at the start of labor and prior was not that useful --- hope yours turns on it's own and not with the added stress a version can cause

I was due at the time on the 21 of Jan and had on the 13th and had started the "turning" accupunture in early November (twice daily) and once a week with needles and the webster I started the week of Christmas and did until Jan 10th - but what is for one is not for another, form early Oct almost 24/7 he was breech and I could see and feel it, most likely was prior to that!

is your OB willing to let you go into labor naturally? and do C only at that point

my feeling were I was willing to not have my OB over waiting till the very end

&

#13 of 13 Old 12-28-2011, 02:28 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Yes, versions have their risks, too.

As far as hypnosis, I also had a client use Hypnobabies "Turn your Breech Baby" - I found the CD here on amazon. She did other things as well, as many do, so one never knows what did it or if baby would've turned anyhow on its own - but her baby turned at 36 wks (ish) I believe.

Stay positive, relaxed, and talk to your baby a lot about what you need him/her to do. But also that you will understand if he/she cannot do it because he/she needs to be born a different way for some reason...but put the idea out there at least :)

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes, mama!

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page