Travel to upstate NY? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-04-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am planning a mama-daughter road trip to the Finger Lakes area of upstate New York for either this fall or next. My daughter is turning 5 this year (or else she'll be 6 next year, if we don't go this fall), and I'd love to take her on a 2-3 day trip. I'm imagining staying in a B&B or motel, doing some mild hiking in the parks, meandering through small towns, perhaps stopping in at an age-appropriate museum, and some basic mother-daughter fun times, away from daddy and baby brother winky.gif. I went to the Finger Lakes with my family when I was younger and remember the stunning scenery in the fall in that area.

Please share any suggestions, tips, ideas, recommendations of the area. What to do, where to stay, etc. I've started researching it but would like actual people's opinions and experiences, which are more valuable to me than travel brochures and tourism websites. 

Also, since we'll be coming from across the border (Ontario, Canada), I know I'll have to take our passports, and probably a letter from DH authorizing me to take her across the border by myself without him. Any other things I'll need to know?

Thanks! 

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 09-04-2011, 09:24 AM

The strong museum in Rochester and the MOST on Syracuse are both great.
#3 of 7 Old 09-12-2011, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Do you mean the Museum of Science in Buffalo? I've heard some good things about that one. 

#4 of 7 Old 09-15-2011, 09:27 AM

I agree with Strong Museum in Rochester - there's a Play Museum that's nice! Kids love it.

#5 of 7 Old 09-24-2011, 06:15 AM

Also the Science Center in Ithaca I have heard great reviews... We love the MOST in Syracuse and go there frequently.

Here is the site for Strong Museum of Play http://www.museumofplay.org/  They have LOTS of hands on playing for the kids.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#6 of 7 Old 10-10-2011, 01:50 PM

Ithaca is a great place to visit with lots of things to do - the Museum of the Earth is great as well as the Science Center already mentioned.  There are also some fun and easy (and GORGEOUS in autumn) trails to hike on at Taughannock Falls (with beautiful water falls at the end).  My sister went there with her daughters and our mother and stayed at a very child friendly B&B - I'll ask her where and post again. 

The Rochester area also has a lot of fun places in addition to the Strong.  The Rochester Museum & Science Center is fun for indoors, and Ellison park and Corbetts Glen both have easy hiking.  There is a fun place in Pittsford called Schoen Place that has some neat little shops and restaurants (and ice cream!) and nice walking on a trail along the Erie Canal. 

Letchworth Park is a bit further south, but is also gorgeous and has wonderful old trees.  You can camp there as well if that is something you enjoy. 

Niagara Falls also has some reputedly (I have not made it there yet) wonderful hiking trails along the Gorge. 

Come on down!

#7 of 7 Old 11-15-2011, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies! I am gathering lots of info and getting excited. It will be next fall :) 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page