Delaware County Memorial Hospital (Drexel HIll) vs. Bryn Mawr Hospital - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-03-2011, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Do you know anything about either of these two hospitals?  I had a great plan to give birth at the midwife-run Birth Center in Bryn Mawr, with Bryn Mawr hospital as the emergency backup, but now that is no longer possible.  In case of any problem, Birth Center patients have to drive 20 minutes to Delaware County Memorial Hospital.

I am wondering if this would be an okay scenario, or if it would be better to just go to Bryn Mawr Hospital from the beginning, and forget about a midwife-assisted birth.  I have been to BMH for other things and been happy, and I'm a little nervous upon seeing that DCMH is not only a 20 minute drive from the birth center, but has lower ratings on most sites.

If you've had any experiences at either hospital, please share.  Even if you've just been to Delaware County Memorial Hospital to visit a friend, I'd like to know what you thought of it.  I'm just not familiar with it at all, and unlike Bryn Mawr Hospital, they don't seem to offer tours.

#2 of 10 Old 11-04-2011, 06:10 AM

I like Delaware County much better than Bryn Mawr.  If there's a serious emergency and you need to be in the hospital ASAP from the Birth Center, they'll take you across the street to Bryn Mawr anyways.  Usually, though, you can see the need to be in a hospital coming and have time to get to Delaware County, so it wouldn't really be a problem.  Stay with the birth center  :)

mom2tatum likes this.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#3 of 10 Old 11-04-2011, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  Have you been inside the DCMH maternity ward, or some other part of the hospital?  I had this nightmare vision of it being an unclean place run by uncaring people.  I suppose I could stop into the hospital even though they don't offer tours, but I won't see much that way.

#4 of 10 Old 11-04-2011, 01:45 PM

Yup, I've attended a birth there.  It's fine  :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSlocombe View Post

Thanks!  Have you been inside the DCMH maternity ward, or some other part of the hospital?  I had this nightmare vision of it being an unclean place run by uncaring people.  I suppose I could stop into the hospital even though they don't offer tours, but I won't see much that way.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#5 of 10 Old 11-04-2011, 08:10 PM

Have you tried to call the maternity ward directly to ask for a tour at Del. Co? That's what I had to do at Mont. Co. there wasn't anything about a tour on their website, but they do them! Hope that helps!

fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.giffemalesling.GIFbelly.gifMama to 2 sweet little boys biggrinbounce.gif(May 2010) biggrinbounce.gif (Feb 2012)

Got myvbac.gifFeb 2012

#6 of 10 Old 11-05-2011, 06:54 PM

Hi. I will tell you that DCMH's rooms may not have the "shine" that BM's do, but as the old saying goes, Don't judge a book by its cover. I had my baby at DCMH and can tell you that the nurses couldn't be nicer or more caring, and most importantly they saved my and my baby's life. If it wasn't for the quick action of my doctors and nurses I wouldn't be here to tell you this story. Like the others said--stick with your gut plan and the birth center midwives. Also a great idea to take a tour and meet the people who would be caring for you. I really don't think you'll be disappointed. 20 minutes isn't far to go when you're having a baby. You will probably be there a lot longer than that. Good luck!

#7 of 10 Old 11-07-2011, 06:07 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Bellabambina!  I'm really glad I asked this question.  The distance continues to worry me a little (since the drive would be after a problem is suspected at the Birth Center, already in the middle of labor), but it's great to know that you had a good experience at DCMH.

#8 of 10 Old 11-23-2011, 07:38 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSlocombe View Post

Thanks, Bellabambina!  I'm really glad I asked this question.  The distance continues to worry me a little (since the drive would be after a problem is suspected at the Birth Center, already in the middle of labor), but it's great to know that you had a good experience at DCMH.

It's not the place of transfer when a 'problem' occurs - only in non emergent transfers, which make up the overwhelming majority of their transfers - 50% of first time moms end up at the hospital for these, either prior to labor for inductions or during a stalled or very lengthy labor or prolonged rupture of membranes without progress, etc.

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#9 of 10 Old 08-01-2012, 10:18 AM

I actually was a BC client and had to transfer to DELCO hospital... Transferring while farther along in labor definitely was... well, painful. However my experience was overall good! The nurses were great!! Very helpful! I had to get pictocin so I wanted an epidural and had to wait like... 3hrs for the guy to get there (I... being hooked up to iv (not able to move as  freely to cope with contractions) was the WORST part

#10 of 10 Old 08-23-2012, 08:41 AM

I was at the Bryn Mawr BC for my 12/2007 (first) birth and transferred to Bryn Mawr hospital after 11 hours of labor, in which midwife had ruptured my membranes, there was failure to progress, and my cervix was swelling (i.e., getting smaller rather than dilating). I also had to get hooked up to an iv, had to wait 2 hours for the anesthesiologist to give me the epidural, and found the nurses to be very nice and supportive. Lactation support was also great.

I also had my second birth at BC, this time only 3h15m from first contraction to birth, all at birth center. This was an awesome experience!

Now I am likely expecting a third. I'm not sure what to do -- I really like the BC, and liked the comfort of having the BM hospital so close in case of transfer. But, now that you mention it is only for non-emergent transfer, I guess I might be okay with a 20 min drive if necessary.

I'm also considering home birth... that's why I'm browsing this forum in the first place, looking for a recommendation!

Mama to angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gif angel1.gifangel1.gif

DS1 (6) jog.gif , DS2 (3)sleepytime.gifbaby.gif DD is here!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page