Personal recommendations for a Philadelphia-area (Havertown, Main Line, etc.) doula? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 11-30-2011, 05:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I live in Havertown, and will give birth somewhere in the general area.  I had been thinking Bryn Mawr, but am considering other options now.  Do you have a personal experience with a good doula?  (Even an experience with a bad doula is worth mentioning, in case I accidentally get set up with her somehow!)  My friend in MD was able to retain a good doula's services for $1,000, which included some prenatal visits, and I'm hoping to pay no more than this, myself, especially since we are now down to one income.

Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 12-02-2011, 07:23 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

We used Marilyn Nolt for our 2nd & 3rd births, both homebirths (our first was a hospital birth, assisted by a medwife).  She is awesome & I can't imagine giving birth w/o her (or my midwife, Kathy Hindle).  I found her website here: http://www.supportedbeginnings.com/Supported_Beginnings/home.html and when I looked at the photos, the one on top is me!  It was after my first son was born.  It's a great picture.  And, I know one of the other women too.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#3 of 5 Old 12-03-2011, 08:09 AM - Thread Starter

So useful!  Thank you, Sus.  I will contact Ms. Nolt.

#4 of 5 Old 12-05-2011, 02:28 PM

Sus! Kathy is my midwife and Marilyn is my backup doula. :) We are using Ellen Felley for a doula. This is our first baby (EDD 1/10/12) and we are planning a homebirth. I totally love Kathy.

MrsSlocombe, Ellen has been great so far. She charges $1200 but will work with you on something more affordable. She was very generous with her fee for us so don't let the starting price scare you. I have also heard of people using Well Born Baby for doulas but I don't have personal experience. I think it's an awesome idea getting a doula for your birth!

slinggirl.gif mama to baby girl E born at home on 1/8/12 with stork-suprise.gif#2 on his or her way around 8/28/13

intactivist.gif toddler.gif homebirth.jpg familybed1.gifcd.gif placenta.gif-eater

#5 of 5 Old 05-08-2012, 09:49 PM

Kathy is amazing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page