Vegan resources (or fellow vegan families) in the Philadelphia or western suburbs area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-23-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Philly has vegan cocktails nights and vegan pizza options down, but I am having trouble finding any groups for parents and/or children.  We are a vegan couple in our thirties, and our baby is due at the end of June.  Can anyone help us with...

- Vegan-friendly pediatricians

- Vegan and vegetarian playgroups

- Vegan-friendly preschools

- Any other local vegan childrearing tips/resources

We're also looking for vegan parents or parents-to-be, who would like to be friends.  Our child will know our small group of childless vegan friends, but we'd like to broaden his/her community to include other vegan children.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know of any groups specifically for vegan's only, but maybe reaching out to the Holistic Mom's Network w.philly/s. jersey chapter for some direction and/or attending a meeting to see if there are other famillies like yours?

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

Old 12-28-2011, 11:04 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!  I checked out the group, and I'm going to start getting the freebie information before I go with the paid option, which is what I'd need to do to connect with the local chapter.  I imagine you are right that vegans are more likely than average parents to define themselves as "holistic."

Old 12-29-2011, 03:37 PM

There are several families at our local park who are vegan, including their young children.  I believe that some of them are affiliated with South Philadelphia Community Accupuncture and the other alternative medicine practices that share the storefront space.  You could email them and see if someone would be a good contact for you.  Last year one local vegan parent participated in a early childhood nutrition workshop through the South Philadelphia Parents Resource Center, so you may find her contact information through this organization also.

http://www.southphillyacupuncture.com/

http://www.southphillyparents.org/

Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 AM

My daughter and I are vegan in the Bucks County, PA area  - we are always looking for like-minded families raising their kids with different dietary needs.  My daughter is 2.5 and I have been looking for an "alternative" community for her since she was born for vax, preschools, parenting resources, holistic health, etc.  Its very tough to find and its exhausting to search.  Have you had any luck???

Old 02-13-2012, 12:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrwinter2 View Post

My daughter and I are vegan in the Bucks County, PA area  - we are always looking for like-minded families raising their kids with different dietary needs.  My daughter is 2.5 and I have been looking for an "alternative" community for her since she was born for vax, preschools, parenting resources, holistic health, etc.  Its very tough to find and its exhausting to search.  Have you had any luck???

Thanks for posting.  My luck has been meagre.  I have a recommendation from a friend (a vegan Mom of a nine year old vegan son) for a pediatrician in Drexel Hill who has done well by them, honoring their decision not to vaccinate and not questioning their veganism.  I haven't spoken to the doctor yet, myself, though;  she is Dr. Penny Soppas of Drexel Hill Pediatricians.  I have a couple of preschools that look good to me, including the cooperative preschool in West Philly, but again, I haven't specifically quizzed them about veganism yet.

There is this Philly-based vegan artists' group, which has a kids' club:

http://www.publiceyephilly.org/Publiceyephillykidsclub.html

I attended their Fourth of July gathering a couple of years ago as a volunteer, and it was fun.  I did face painting, and there were art projects, food, and music, too.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:31 PM

Hi,

We are a raw, vegan family-  I haven't met any loval vegan families yet- I would love to chat and connect with others- Our son is 2.5 and we have an 8 wk old.  We live in Bucks.

thanks

:)

User Tag List