home schooling in NY - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 12-24-2011, 08:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We're hoping to move to upstate NY early next year. We currently homeschool in Vermont and I'm really nervous looking at the NY requirements.

Any advice? Can anyone talk about the reality of meeting the requirements (as oppose to how scary it looks in legalese).

Thanks!

Sarah, Farmer, photographer, teacher, mother to Noah 05-05-06 and Del 03-27-08 and best friend to Josh 05-29-04.

#2 of 5 Old 12-27-2011, 12:05 PM

We are considering moving to NY as well and I was advised to look into its laws as well. So I'll be watching this thread with hopes that someone will give some great info. What I've found online so far are basically, well, I think as long as you keep good records, teach all the important subjects, and allow the kids to take some tests annually in the school district, you'll be fine... That kind of rules out unschooling and I really don't like the idea of the kids needing to pass tests just like the public schoolers. I'm OK with the record keeping parts and teaching a lot of subjects (although we'll be trying to do a European curriculum which switches some things up with which subjects are taught when)... I'm a little worried and would like to have some first-hand info as well from someone who's actually done it. Like, to find out if the tests are very in-depth or if they're just trying to make sure the kids aren't totally behind, etc. Or if you can opt out if you can show good enough record keeping. Etc.

coolshine.gif
#3 of 5 Old 12-29-2011, 05:03 PM

I also am hoping to get some information about this and will be watching......

SAHM to 5 cats, a crazy toddler and my new baby girl born at home 3/12/12.

#4 of 5 Old 12-29-2011, 05:25 PM

This is the nys laws regarding homeschooling.  I am in NY and it seems like it is difficult to homeschool in any other manner than X ammount of learning hours, testing, reporting etc...  I know of parents who have gotten into trouble for not following the rules to a T.  I don't know if this helps, but good luck!! 

http://www.p12.nysed.gov/part100/pages/10010.html

lovermont where are you moving to in NY?

M,partner to D,mama to Sofia (6/01), Madeline(11/04), and Quin(2/08)  Hoping for a tubal reversal baby SOON after the proceduremakebabe.gif

#5 of 5 Old 12-29-2011, 06:05 PM

Now, er... what exactly is meant by "trouble"? Trouble as in, "please correct this and bring us the properly filled out time sheet or we'll keep phoning your house" or "hey, we called CPS and they're going to show up momentarily to take the kids to their new boarding school-foster homes and take you to jail, have a nice day!!" - or something in between? What are the consequences? I'm not planning to disregard the rules, I like to stay on the right side of regulations when I can, but I'm just curious.

coolshine.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page