I need a VBA2C provider and doula in south East PA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 18 weeks and I want to try a VBA2C. I am looking for a midwife or
a hands-off OB who can help me reach my hope for a natural vaginal birth.
I had two c/s: One was 4 years ago (I got to complete but was advised for
an epidural, which turned into c/s for non reassurring fetal tracing)
and my second c/s was almost 2 years ago, which was scheduled for repeat c/s
(b/c VBAC was not allowed with that group), but I came in complete at 38.4
weeks (I asked that I get a VBAC) md stated only with epidural placed.

(same results to heavy epidural and MD demand c/s). I had bad c/s
experiences and want to try natural delivery, but I want to have a
hospital delivery just in case.

Does anyone know and like any provider who would be willing to do Vba2c.

I live near south east PA in delaware county, but I am willing to travel

a hour to get to hospital that would allow VBA2Cs.

I found so far (not sure if they do VBA2C yet)

1. reading birth center midwives

2. the birth center midwives

3. barbara D amato midwife

4. ronni rothnam midwife

5. thomas jefferson hospital

6. dr bailey (i meet him, did not like the hospital style or c/s rate above normal rates)

7. dr henderson(is okay with VBA2c but thinks they will not work anyways, fast on c/s again).

does anyone know them or can give advice on them or any other provider?

and I also need a great doula, one who is hand one and has experience with VBA2Cs

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 01-13-2012, 09:46 AM

I don't know a ton about VBA2C in your are but have you contacted ICAN?  I'd suggest contacting ICAN of SE PA and ICAN of Camden County.  I'm sure this questions has been asked before!  If you want to make the hike up to Trenton, Pam and Louise in Pennington can attend VBA2C on a case-by-case basis. 

Proud mommy 9/2004 ribboncesarean.gif , 11/2007 vbac.gif, 2/2011 ribboncesarean.gif
ICAN of New Jersey --> find 2010 NJ hospital birth stats here!

#3 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi there,

I'm a doula and I live in Drexel Hill. No birth center in this area would take you. Hospitals - its not impossible to have happen with the right doc and situation, but still, even for those that try hard with a solid hosp birth plan, it doesn't happen all too often. Although, you came in complete with your second? And at just 38 wks. Wow, that is pretty amazing. So, that is very much in your favor. You could do this!  Dr. Bailey is sometimes the best bet in this area but I totally understand your hesitation due to the hosp environment/protocols and section rate. Quite a few VBAC's happen at Del Co Mem, but it also has some drawbacks like lack of supportive nursing staff. I don't know successful VBA2C stories with either of the two OB practices there either. But I've had clients choose Dr. Jacobson's office over Dr. Bailey at Lank.

#1 advice, hire a doula. It sounds like I may be booked around your due date, so I am not trying to sell myself FYI - but you increase your chances greatly with the support of a doula, for many reasons.

#2 be in contact with [email protected] for support as well.

Best of luck to you. Contact me if you want further info - BTDT with clients before as well as ICAN - helps to know the inside stuff with our experiences.

Lori

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#4 of 10 Old 01-26-2012, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Hike Jacobson at del hospital sole group?

Can you recommend any good vba2c doula who can work we with me for my last part of my labor. What questions should I ask them and what should I look for when talk to hire a doula

#5 of 10 Old 01-28-2012, 03:22 PM

Hi!  My name is Christina and I am doula and teach childbirth education at the Bryn Mawr Birth Center.  Congratulations on your third pregnancy; very exciting!  In terms of having a successful VBAC, care provider and support are very important.  I've attended as a doula for several VBACs at locations such as Lankenau, BMH, and Montgomery.  Here is some information I can provide on the care provider's you listed:

1. reading birth center midwives - sorry, out of my range of travels.

2. the birth center midwives - are not currently doing VBACs.

3. barbara D amato midwife - I haven't worked with her for a VBAC, however, a doula who works with me has.  This mom first had a successful vaginal birth, c-section with her second, and successfully delivered vaginally with Barb at the Valley Birth Place (stand alone birth center).  Barb also delivers at Montgomery Hospital.

4. ronni rothnam midwife - Love Ronni.  Both professionally and on a personal level since she caught all three of my children.  Have had great VBACs with her.  She delivers at Montgomery but has multiple office locations.  She is very relaxed and straightforward. 

5. thomas jefferson hospital - This is a teaching hospital with lists of policies and protocols.  They are not going to be the most flexible with allowing labor to take it's course.

6. dr bailey (i meet him, did not like the hospital style or c/s rate above normal rates) - Within MLH, I would suggest Dr. Bailey and have had great VBACs with him.  He's very supportive of natural birth, midwives, homebirth, and vbac.  He attends approx 90% of his births and will be completely honest with you.  Unlike most practices, he will (as long as mom/baby are doing well) allow the mom to go postdates when attempting a csection.  The hospital stats for Lankenau don't look great but you should know your particular doctor's c-sect rate.  Lankenau has high risk perinatologists which is going to lead to the c-sect rate being slightly higher here.  My understanding is that new stats are soon to be released for MLH that are going to show what each practice's c-sect rate is. 

7. dr henderson (is okay with VBA2c but thinks they will not work anyways, fast on c/s again). - I've not had a client Vbac with this doctor, but agree that many moms do choose to VBAC at Delco.

In general, when discussing VBACs with my clients I suggest they either speak with Ronni or Dr. Bailey.  Hope that helps and I would be happy to discuss with you further.  Take care and best of luck to you!

#6 of 10 Old 01-31-2012, 01:51 PM

I did have a sucsessful VBAC2 with the Reading Midwives.  It was awesome!!!  I traveled from Elkins Park, Pa with my three older children.  My then 4 year old son and twin 2 year old girls for my appointments.  It took 1 hour and 15 minutes to get there from Elkins Park taking 276 almost all the way and getting off in morgantown to go north.

Best of Luck!   I know how hard it is to find.  No hospital around Philadelphia would allow me to deliver vaginally.

Reading hospital was sooo great!  The Labor and Delivery staff was excellent and no or low med births are a normal thing for them.  In the end it was a blessing to be there to deliver my son, 11lbs 7oz. 

#7 of 10 Old 01-31-2012, 06:31 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Dobeck View Post

I did have a sucsessful VBAC2 with the Reading Midwives.  It was awesome!!!  I traveled from Elkins Park, Pa with my three older children.  My then 4 year old son and twin 2 year old girls for my appointments.  It took 1 hour and 15 minutes to get there from Elkins Park taking 276 almost all the way and getting off in morgantown to go north.

Best of Luck!   I know how hard it is to find.  No hospital around Philadelphia would allow me to deliver vaginally.

Reading hospital was sooo great!  The Labor and Delivery staff was excellent and no or low med births are a normal thing for them.  In the end it was a blessing to be there to deliver my son, 11lbs 7oz. 

What an awesome story!  Thanks for sharing it!  

And, welcome to MDC!  I hope you'll stick around!  You might want to share your birth story in that subforum.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#8 of 10 Old 02-01-2012, 02:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Dobeck View Post

Good for you, mama! Thanks for posting your story!!!

Already!?!?! cold.gif  ~ Lori, doula, childbirth educator, wife to Jermaine 6/04, and mom to two happy and energetic boys - Tatum 6/06 and Keegan 3/09

#9 of 10 Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM

For VBACs I swear by Albert Einstein in Philly.  I have had wonderful experiences there as a doula - they do informed consent, they respect that you want a VBAC, and they do everything possible to make it happen.  If I had another baby and had to go to a hospital I'd go to Albert Einstein.

Amy... mom to
Keith, Henry and Caroline
#10 of 10 Old 02-03-2012, 10:02 PM

I'd recommend trying Barbara D'amato at Valley Birthplace.  I had a VBAC with her.  I had to go to Montgomery Hospital because they don't do VBACs at their birth center, but it was a wonderful birth anyway.  I had to have an IV for my situation, but after the needle went in, the only people that graced my door the whole time were a nurse and Barbara, unlike my first birth where it was like grand central station in my room!  Good luck!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page