Crunchy places to live in NJ? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello! My husband and I currently live in NYC, but are looking for someplace to live where we can get a little more greenery, any suggestions for some good crunchy places to live in Jersey?

#2 of 8 Old 01-23-2012, 03:48 PM

Hello - not sure what amenities you are looking for... but I know quite a few families that moved from NYC or Brooklyn into Montclair.   There is a wonderful school there - Montclair Co-Op, lots of small businesses and restaurants, a small but well run museum, Whole Foods and coffee shops, and plenty of yoga, music and street fairs.

There is also train service into NY within walking distance of many neighborhoods and a diverse population.

Maplewood is also nice, but more suburban, IMO.

Red Bank is a lot of fun, if you want to move further south.  Again, plenty of good food, shopping, art and night life.  I don't know much about the schools there.

Where have you looked so far?

#3 of 8 Old 01-25-2012, 07:10 PM

I work in Montclair (am trying to move there...currently live the next town over) and I second what the previous poster said. We have our daughter in the Co-op school and it is amazing. There are many many NYC transplants who find it a little slower pace but still palatable after living in the city. Definitely a family friendly town with great culture, restaurants, and charm. Maplewood is also totally lovely...also granola...I would love to live there but it is just a little too far of a drive into my office and daughters school every day.

#4 of 8 Old 01-28-2012, 08:01 AM

Subbing!

DH and I moved our fam from Los Angeles to NY in summer of 2009. DH grew up on Long Island (NOT the place for us) and so we decided to try Astoria. While there are a lot of things we like about Astoria, we are definitely not finding our community. Oh yeah, and the schools suck.

We're also trying to move farther away from the city and our budget is very limited. Looking at NJ and Hudson river town areas. Any insight is SO appreciated!!

We want solid public schools, decent commute (<1 hr), and hopefully a little outside space, and we really want a like-minded commuity. Our kids are older, so no more bf or co-sleep, but we are definitely crunchy minded!!

Thanks, Mamas!!

mmgarda

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#5 of 8 Old 01-30-2012, 04:53 PM

If you're looking at the Hudson Valley, Cold Spring is the place!  Great public school.  TONS of cultural stuff (Seriously, how many yoga studios can one small town have?  And dance and theatre and live music aaall the time.)  Train.  Tons of outdoorsy stuff.  It happens all the time that I meet someone, know them casually for months, and then find out they've won a pulitzer or a grammy or are on some tv show or something.  Fantastic wee park for little kids.  Good natural food store 15 minutes away.  A choice of holistic pediatricians within 30 minutes.  Just a fabulous place.

#6 of 8 Old 02-01-2012, 10:41 AM

Thanks, Chamsia! I'm assuming it's on the Metro North Hudson line? Can you give me some insight into rentals in the area - is it common for people to rent? Should we just drive up there and start looking around?

Thanks a TON!!!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#7 of 8 Old 02-02-2012, 05:59 AM

I think rentals are not easy to find but they do exist.  Houlihan Lawrence is a big realtor around here who might help you locate something.  Yes, it's on the metro North.  Methinks it's 70 minutes to Grand Central.

#8 of 8 Old 02-09-2012, 06:54 AM

Thank yoU!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page