Pittsburgh, PA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-20-2012, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! We haven't moved to Pittsburgh yet, but we will be moving there in September of this year. I'm just looking for like-minded moms who live near Pittsburgh..."crunchy" moms I guess :)

I will also be looking for a pediatrician who is supportive of a delayed vaccination schedule...if anyone out there has suggestions of groups I can join on Facebook, or meetup groups, etc. please let me know! I would love to start learning about Pittsburgh and gathering resources before we move!

Thanks!!

#2 of 7 Old 03-28-2012, 06:33 PM

I am right there with you!! we just moved outside of the pittsburg area... irwin/north versailles/monroeville area... where are you located?

#3 of 7 Old 04-13-2012, 08:00 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

Welcome, k8schwartz, and I look forward to welcoming you, benniben!  I've lived in Pittsburgh for 20 years, now in the Squirrel Hill neighborhood which I love.

Mama to a boy EnviroKid treehugger.gif 9 years old and a new little girl EnviroBaby baby.gif!

I write about parenting, environment, cooking, and more. computergeek2.gif

#4 of 7 Old 04-19-2012, 11:33 AM

so sorry im still trying to figure out this site/forum!! 

how are you?? any suggestions on how to get plugged in and finding other mamas and babies in the area? :)

#5 of 7 Old 04-20-2012, 04:55 AM

I think you will enjoy living in Pittsburgh. There is a lot to do for families. I know there have been many older posts with the same questions as yours. We live outside of the city so I am not exactly familiar with drs. in the city, meet-ups, etc. I do know that has been covered in some of the other posts though, so maybe that will be helpful. Hope your move goes well.

#6 of 7 Old 04-20-2012, 05:10 AM

I lived in Pittsburgh for a year.  I should mention that I didn't have a child at the time, but I did notice many "crunchy" moms in the East End (I lived in Bloomfield myself, but you might enjoy Friendship, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, etc.)

The city has a very vibrant art scene, due to the presence of Carnegie-Mellon's art school and also the cheap real estate. :)  There are often gallery crawls and free/cheap arts events which kids might enjoy.  There are also a lot of locally owned small businesses, if that's important to you - for example, there are so many great coffeehouses that I never set foot in a Starbucks once!  (That being said, the East End has a Trader Joe's and a Whole Foods as well.)

Hope you like Pittsburgh.

#7 of 7 Old 04-20-2012, 12:03 PM

oh that sounds wonderful!! we moved to the north huntington/north versailles area so when we head out on outings i will keep those places in mind! thank you so much!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page