Doctors open to delayed vaccination schedule in Queens, NY? New mom--please help - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 01-24-2012, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi,

My husband and I are expecting a baby in 3 weeks and haven't found a pediatrician we like near Queens, NY. We live in Forest Hills. Can anyone recommend a pediatrician near Queens (or even western LI) who is open to not vaccinating or at least a delayed schedule? I really appreciate any suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 5 Old 01-28-2012, 09:09 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I can't recommend in Queens, but if you're willing to travel a bit, I highly recommend that you check out the Continuum Center for Health and Healing in NYC (on 5th Ave., 1 block from the 28th Street stop on the N/Q/R line). www.healthandhealing.org

I love our family practitioner there (Dr. Dahmer) and am about to switch my kids to him. They have a pediatrician, gyno (Dr. Emily Hertzog - who I also love), nutritionist, etc. All their doctors have MDs as well as additional certification in other non-traditional medicines (acupuncture, ayurvedic, chinese herbs, etc.). They are really open and just amazing.

Good luck!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

#3 of 5 Old 02-06-2012, 10:01 AM

Hi Queensmom1233,

I would recommend our doc- Dr. Valerie Mokides in New Hyde Park. She is a DO and she is not opposed to non-vaxing. She will explain to you all the risks that in her view you are taking, but she will not pressure you or right upfront confront you. We are at 9 months and we have been delaying.

However, research whooping cough, there have been about 200 cases in LI and I would make sure I am familiar with this disease. 

From where you live, you just hop on Grand Central for a few exits and you are there. If you have a car, she will be convenient for you. I live in Whitestone (northern part) and I drive to her. There is always parking. I was going to go to Manhattan, but I am glad I did not- for me it would have been so stressful to deal with crowds and parking while taking my newborn to the ped.

Valerie is all about nutrition generally. However, if she thinks there is a danger present, she won't hesitate to prescribe medicine.

Please feel free to IM me if you would like to ask me more questions about Valerie. 

Good luck!

waterbirth.jpg bf.jpg DD 5/19/2011 dust.gifcd.gif delayedvax.gif familybed1.gifgoorganic.jpg

#4 of 5 Old 05-16-2012, 07:59 AM

Hi there! I'm in the same situation you were  couple of months ago. I have a 1 month old and a 2 1/2 year old and i was wondering if you found any pediatrician that doesn't vaccinate. Thank you so much!

#5 of 5 Old 05-16-2012, 11:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi! Yes, I actually took the advise of the previous poster and went to Dr. Mokides in New Hyde Park. We have a car, and it only takes about 20 minutes or so to get there. There is always easy parking. Like the previous person said, she does not pressure you at all about vaccinations. We told her we wanted to wait until 6 months and she was fine with that. She also said that she has some parents who don't vaccinate and some who just choose a few to do. She does tell you that she thinks most of the vaccines are good/important, but like I said she does not pressure you at all or make you feel like you are making a poor decision.

Her office isn't fancy or super organized or anything. But I am very happy with her as a doctor. She is very thorough and spends a lot of time with you. Also, she is into nutrition which I think is important.
We visited 3 other doctors in the area, all of whom were not OK with delayed/selective vaccination so we wanted to go with her. In another thread on this site, someone had mentioned Dr. Elissa Rubin, as someone who was open to not vaccinating. But we went to her meet-and-greet and she literally said that she thinks people who don't vaccinate are "idiots." So we obviously didn't go with her :)

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page