Yikes...Need recommendations for York PA - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-03-2012, 02:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all...I read this forum all the time, but have never posted.  I'm moving to York PA in 7 weeks.  I actually grew up there, so I know the area well, but haven't lived there as an adult or had to aquire my own health care there.  I've been looking for doctors for myself and my son and I'm starting to get really nervous...any one have any recommendations?

We'll need a modified vax friendly pediatrician who won't harrass me about parenting and feeding choices.  Our current doctor in maryland, Dr. Beams, is super duper amazing.  I may just stick with her, but I'm nervous about the hour drive to see her if/when he gets sick or when the weather's bad.

I'll need an internest or family practice dr.  I don't have any medical issues, but would really like someone with an integrative approach if possible, at the very least someone who seems to enjoy their job and patients.

A bigger concern is that I'll need a midwife or OB practice willing to let me VBAC for number 2...and possible a local infertility doc to help us get there.

I'd also love to get in touch with a secular homeschooling community locally.  My son's just a baby, but I hear that the legalities of homeschooling in PA are tricky and I'd love to start making social connections now.

Any suggestions will be so appreciated!  Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2012, 05:19 AM

You might check out the map on this page to see if there is a secular homeschool support group near you...http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-Secular-Homeschool-Support-Groups-by-State

Old 04-05-2012, 01:53 PM

I'm the editor of Smart (www.smartmagpa.com), a magazine and online community for women in York and Adams counties. I would love to help you in your searches. Could I post your questions on our blog, Facebook and Twitter accounts to get recommendations from local women?

Old 04-06-2012, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

Oh, Kara, that would be great!  Thanks so much for the offer!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I don't know about York Hospital but I know of several women in that area who have come to VBAC at Holy Spirit in Camp Hill, with the Center for Women's Health. They have a high VBAC rate. Caveat: They are an actively Catholic practice that adheres to Catholic guidelines. If you want Church unapproved fertility treatments (or contraception, etc) they won't provide them. The only SART reporting clinic in the area is at Penn State in Hershey (I used them, feel free to PM me). Depending which side of York you live on, you may find it more convenient to use Shady Grove @ GBMC in Towson if you want IVF.

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

Old 08-20-2012, 07:55 PM

Hi. I've been living just south of York Pa for about 2 yrs now and have been trying to make social connections too. I can't help you with a vbac but I might be able to help you with a ped. I have been taking my 7mo ds to Springdale Pediatrics. While I'm not thrilled about most of the Drs, there is one that i recently learned about that practices Integrative medicine. I will pm you a link to her info. I will be seeing her this week for the 2nd time. The 1st time was a sick visit and I didn't know about the integrative part. I can say she was very nice and comforting. I can keep you posted if you like.

User Tag List