Midwife/OB and hospital recommendations in Westchester, NY - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-08-2012, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone, 

I am 15 weeks pregnant and we will be moving to White Plains from Queens. I am looking for an OB or midwife who is supportive of a natural childbirth. I have heard good things about Phelps Memorial hospital and Full Circle but they are not in my insurance. Anyone have any recommendations? Also, anyone have any experiences with either White Plains hospital or Lawrence Hospital in Bronxville? Thanks!

#2 of 5 Old 04-09-2012, 05:36 PM

Hey!

I used to live in Croton, and used Full Circle/Phelps.  Loved Full Circle... hated Phelps.  They gave him formula when my birth plan said exclusive breastfeeding... they'd take the baby away for hours and not tell me why...  WRONG.  So for my second child, we went to the Connecticut Birth Center in Danbury.  Awesome midwives, awesome birth experience in every way.  I'd totally recommend them.  It's probably about 45 minutes for you (I'm in Putnam now and it was almost an hour for me) but it was completely worth it. 

Suz, mommy to 2 chess-playing, lightsaber-wielding boys

#3 of 5 Old 04-10-2012, 07:20 AM

I live in White Plains and am with Full Circle/Phelps but I researched other options because I'm attempting a VBAC and wanted a hospital that was open to natural birth. This is information I got from my doula and the midwives at Full Circle and friends.

As PP said, I have heard great things about CT Birth Center in Danbury but it is really far (close to 1 hour one way drive) from White Plains and I decided against going there because I didn't want to drive so far for prenatal appointments.

In Westchester, there is also a small practice of 2 ob/gyns Dr. Dennis McGroary and Dr. Susan Malley based out of Katonah and Yorktown. I believe they deliver at Northern Westchester Hospital in Mt. Kisco.

There is a midwife/ob-gyn group Westchester Medical Practice in Putnam Valley (about 45 min from White Plains) who deliver at Hudson Valley Hospital.

I have heard that both Northern Westchester Hospital and Hudson Valley Hospital are "natural birth" friendly. White Plains Hospital, while nice, is not well known for being natural birth friendly, though I'm sure you can have a natural birth there. I don't know about Lawrence, though I have heard that their maternity floor is very nice. Greenwich Hospital is also nice and several friends have had natural births there. There is an ob/gyn group in Rye called WestMed whose doctors deliver there, but it is a typical big ob/gyn practice with long waits during prenatal appts etc.

Mom to DS born 6/09 and DS2 born 6/12

#4 of 5 Old 04-27-2012, 03:07 PM

I am a patient of Dr. McGroary and Dr. Malley. I love them!  Everyone does. They delivered both my son and daughter.  They are as just what you would want your obstetrician to be like: warm, supportive and funny - like family, only better.  I hope you meet them before you decide. This is such an important decision, and they will make it easy.  Hope this helps.

#5 of 5 Old 05-02-2012, 08:34 AM

I don't know how far you are willing to travel. I delivered my 2nd at Northern Westchester Hospital and switched for this pregnancy to Hudson Valley Hospital in Cordlandt Manor. Using group in Westchester Medical Practice with offices in Cortlandt Manor and Putnam Valley. PITA to get there for appointments, but I've heard such wonderful things about birth at Hudson Valley.

I've heard people love Dr. McGroary and Dr. Malley. (My son actually goes to school with one of Dr. McGroary's kids and they are really nice people.) But I'm not loving NWH. I had a bad experience there post c-section and I'm afraid they are not very VBAC friendly.

Married to DH since 9/2001, mom to DS (1/2006) natural birth, DD1 (9/2008) transverse baby = c-section and DD2 (7/2012) transverse baby = rcs.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page