Anyone have a waterbirth at Holy Name Hospital in Teaneck NJ? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-16-2012, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I originally wanted a home/water birth but homebirth is not covered under my insurance. I found a mw who will deliver at Holy Name in teaneck, NJ - just wondering if anyone had a waterbirth there and if they could share their expereince - how "natural" was it? etc.. Thanks in advance@!

#2 of 5 Old 04-17-2012, 07:50 AM

Hi blondnyc, I can't tell you much about Holy Name, but I wanted to mention that my doula (who was great, and had very reasonable rates) lives in that part of NJ, so she might have more information about the hospitals around there.  Her name is Lesley Rafes, and she is DONA certified. Let me know if you need contact information for her!

#3 of 5 Old 05-07-2012, 08:31 AM

I have been to several births at Holy Name (as a doula) and would say that it definitely depends on your care provider.  If you have a midwife who will take charge of your birth and keep the nurses from interfering, you can have a natural, mostly intervention-free water birth in the hospital.  I'm wondering if your midwife is the one I've been with at Holy Name?  Feel free to contact me if you want more specifics - my e-mail is chana@zenaco.com and my cell is 973-563-4465.

Good luck with everything and I hope you get your natural birth in the hospital. You can do it!

#4 of 5 Old 06-12-2012, 12:49 PM

I spent some time at Holy Name. If you do not have your OB/MW with you at the time of admittance, they will lock you up in their hep-lock, fetal monitor, IV stand until the day you leave. Please make sure you arrive with or after your physician. They have protocols and will not listen to you at all. 

My husband and I were trying to speak to the nurse and asked to wait for the IV and monitor until after my MW arrived, but we were ignored and eyes were rolled when I pulled out my birthing plan. Even asking for a chance to go to the bathroom was impossible. I was so strapped into the hospital bed that we ended up layering my bed with chucks and I peed on that the whole time. How disgusting they treat their patients!

I am really traumatized from my expereience there. 

However, if you have a doctor that you truly trust, I would say that the birthing tub is a great way to go. I have not heard of anyone actually getting to use it though. 

Good luck. I hope you have a much better experience than I did. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. 

#5 of 5 Old 06-21-2012, 01:32 PM

Hi, I'm so sorry you had such a horrible experience.  FYI - this could happen at almost any hospital in NJ, unfortunately.  The hospitals have so many "protocols" it's ridiculous.  Which is why I really want to make a plug for taking a doula with you.  A doula will help you advocate for yourself and make sure you know your rights.  Which includes the right to get up to go to the toilet!  Unless you have an epidural and cannot stand, you have the right to get up and go to the bathroom when you want!  I've even helped women to the bathroom when the nurses weren't looking!  We just unplugged the monitors and voila!  

There are (a few) doctors/midwives who will help you have a natural birth.  Ask you provider these kinds of questions BEFORE you go to the hospital.  Make sure he/she signs your birth plan and then any time you are presented with "hospital protocol" you can point to your (signed) birth plan and say "my doctor said it's ok".  If they still give you a hard time, tell them you'd like them to call your doctor.

Good luck with having the natural birth you desire!

Chana

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page