Moving from NYC to upstate NY. Any difference in getting religious exemption? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-17-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi All,

I've posted this over in the vax forums too but thought any NY mamas may have some specific insight with regard to New York?

DD is 4 and has been attending a daycare facility in New York City for the past 3 years, most recently, she has been in pre-k at this facility and was accepted for UPK.

When she started back in 09, I submitted my vaccination waiver form to them along with a letter explaining my reasons not to vaccinate based on my sincere religious beliefs.

They accepted it, I assume they submitted it to the NYS Health Department (is that what happens? sorry Im a little rusty on the procedures) and I have had no problems/comebacks in the last 3 years. YAY!

However DD is starting Kindergarten in September and we are moving out of NYC, but still in New York- we are just going further upstate. I am about to start the registration process and of course this whole issue has got me nervous again. I just had a couple of questions, if anyone could help?

- Should I expect any problems? If my waiver and letter have already been accepted, can they now deny it? I thought it was up to the state, not the school? But after refreshing my research on this recently, it seems alot of schools think they are a law unto themselves:

http://www.ageofautism.com/2009/01/witness-a-ny-religious-sincerity-test-for-vaccine-exemption.html

This makes me wonder...who decides that your sincere religious beliefs are indeed sincere and that your religious exemption is approved? The school? The district? The state?

As is common, most people are shocked to learn that there is an exemption when I respond to the 'if shes not vaccinated, she wont be allowed into school' crowd. And now I'm getting this response 'well that may have gone over down in the city, but that might not fly up here!'

So what should my main concerns be here?

Thanks everyone!! :)

#2 of 3 Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 AM

I used to live in Woodstock, and there were a lot of people with exemptions there. We vaxed our first, so it wasn't an issue. I think it's gonna depend where upstate you are.

We're now in PA, and only partly vaccinating our second, so I am also wondering about your question, since people seem to think the exemption is something I made up... !

#3 of 3 Old 04-29-2012, 08:14 PM

In-state there should not be any difference, in theory.  But it's like anything else: it just depends who the individual is whose job it is to decide.

However.  I don't think you'll have any problem with a straight-up religious exemption as long as you are consistently no-vax.  I am in Cold Spring and there are many non-vax families in the public school.  They're used to it.

Best wishes for an easy move, no problems with this issue, and a happy settling in.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page