Seeking OB recommendations in NYC - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-23-2012, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 9 weeks pregnant with my first and seeking a recommendation for an obstetrician in NYC.  I will need one soon to monitor my medications as I leave my clinic next week.  Can anyone assist?

I do have insurance, but might also consider going out of network if necessary.  I'd like someone with a low c-section rate, conservative when it comes to treatments and procedures.  I appreciate medical technology but do not appreciate its overuse.  I'd also like a doctor that will not automatically classify me as high risk or try to stick me with a c-section due to age (45).  I think the baby should cook as long as it needs to unless there is an imminent problem.

I've heard good things about St. Luke's/Roosevelt.  I do not believe I would qualify for the birthing center, but understand they have a more open attitude in general.  I plan to have a doula as I have no family and will be alone.  I'm not familiar with any of the doctors there.  I've also received some other doctor recommendations from another list that sound great but none of them deliver there...they are from a variety of other hospitals.  Should I be more concerned with getting into St. Luke's specifically, or trust that a good, natural friendly doctor will make for a good hospital experience, regardless of where it is?

Anyway, thoughts and recommendations gladly accepted.  Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

i gave st luke's a try, hoping for a natural birth in the birthing center.   i went to an OB practice that was given rave reviews for "natural childbirth". I got risked out of the birthing center because of totally diet controlled GD & fears of macrosomia & shoulder dystocia.  i was 34, It was my first kid, my DR didn't check my cervix to see if i was ready but scared us into an induction anyway based on a ultrasound @ 37 weeks where they thought my baby wouldn't fit thru the chute even though she was only measuring <3500.  it wasn't truly informed consent bc i wasn't aware that something like 50% of induction's for first-time moms end in c-section.  well, after two days in the hospital my labor ended in a c-section when i got an untreatable uterine infection. my daughter weighed all of 8 lbs 6 oz.  worst experience in my life.

User Tag List