opinions wanted - how far to travel? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-04-2012, 08:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi all,

I am five weeks pregnant and trying to figure out where to go for care.  I keep turning it around in my own head, and torturing my husband with conversation after conversation, but would love to have some outside input as well!

My son was born in 2010 at Hunterdon Medical Center in NJ.  I had such a great experience there.  I really really liked my OB, for starters.  He was super caring, but also hands off when I wanted him to be, and I was able to have the natural birth that I wanted.  The hospital itself was beautiful and comfortable, and the nurses were amazing.  I had considered having a doula and decided against it, but in the end, our nurse didn't leave my side the entire time I was in labor.  The breastfeeding support was so helpful after the birth, and I really felt like I was being taken care of really well and able to have all of my questions answered.

As a bonus, my entire family lives about ten minutes away from the doctor's office and hospital, so are available to watch my son during appointments and while I'm in the hospital. 

However.... since then, we've moved to the Philadelphia area, so this whole great situation is about an hour away.  My inclination, however, is still to go to Hunterdon.  I'm willing to make it work with appointments, but I'm a little convinced that a) this might be a problem if I have a quick labor or b) I'm just making this whole situation too difficult.

We're moving (again) next month, and while I'll still be about an hour away from HMC, I'll also only be about fifteen minutes away from Valley Birthplace.  I've never been there, but have read some of the reviews online, and have a bit of a mixed impression.

So, be honest.  Am I insane for bypassing all the great Philly options?  Have any of you traveled that far for your care?  I sort of feel like I found a good thing... why mess with it? 

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 08:54 AM

Hiya,

FWIW, Since 2010, HMC has begun the process of becoming Baby Friendly.  It is better than ever.  Would you be comfortable going to your family's home for early labor so that you can avoid the last minute long car ride?

Carolyn

Mom to Liam 9/06, spirit baby 3/09, and identical twins Mateo and Sebastian 10/11namaste.gif

Old 05-09-2012, 08:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses!  Carolyn, we are on the same wavelength. :)  I was actually thinking about staying with my family during the last few weeks, and then there would be no worry about a last-minute long car ride.  If labor is long (it was NOT last time), I could go there for the early part of it.  Because I am due so early in January, it would actually be really easy to combine with the holidays, which would also make it easier for DH, since he won't have to be commuting as much.

Hmmm....

User Tag List