Organic non-UP milk in NJ - Where do you get it? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 05-14-2012, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have tried endlessly to find a decent source of milk that I can get on a regular basis. I'd be happy with regular supermarket organic that is not ultra-pasteurized, though something better quality would be great. I know local farmers can't sell raw and I am far enough away from all state lines to make it impossible to cross the border. (But why don't local farmers sell low-temp pasteurized, non-homogenized?!) Mail order that is not insanely expensive would be fine, dairy cowshare would be fine. I don't live near a Wegmans, WF, or TJ's. I could drive to one once a month and stock up - does anyone know if they regularly carry non-UP organic? If so, any experience with how long it lasts in the back of the fridge? If you don't mind sharing brands, I would appreciate it - I like to research the treatment of the animals. Oh yeah, I've contacted a local organic food coop but they don't carry any.

Thanks very much for any help you can send my way! 

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

#2 of 14 Old 05-14-2012, 07:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)

unless you can get someone to carry it ( health food store,etc and in my area I would need to buy a case upfront and it doesn't last for us) I really don't know how you are going to get it

here is a place but they do not do mail order to my knowledge (they do via distributors) http://www.natural-by-nature.com

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 14 Old 05-20-2012, 06:46 AM

If you can get to a Whole Foods, their 365 organic milk is not UP.  And comes from pasture-based cows. Some Organic Valley milk is UP, and some is not, so you have to label read carefully.

You should be able to freeze and keep the milk basically indefinitely.

#4 of 14 Old 05-20-2012, 08:42 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks Pinky!! I can definitely get to a WF once every month or two. I'm going to do it!

Me + DH + DS ('07) + after a long and bumpy road, thrilled that our twin boys are finally here (DS2 & DS3, '12)

#5 of 14 Old 05-25-2012, 07:51 AM

We also buy the 365 Organic, which is not UP and tastes SO much better than the UP brands.

#6 of 14 Old 05-25-2012, 11:56 PM

Depends on where you are in the state. I think there is a delivery of raw milk in Morristown from PA. I can find out more information if that's local-ish to you.

#7 of 14 Old 06-05-2012, 05:35 AM

whole foods also sells a milk from Sky Top Farms (I think) thet is not UP & is not homoginized. expensive though. Have you thought about one of the milk delivery services? I can look for some names if you want.

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

#8 of 14 Old 06-05-2012, 06:57 AM - Thread Starter

olien, I'd love to use a service - that would actually be ideal! If you have any names I would really appreciate it!

#9 of 14 Old 06-05-2012, 06:22 PM

Udder Milk is where we get our raw milk from. They are lovely to deal with and have had nothing but delicious milk and cheeses since we started with them! 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#10 of 14 Old 06-06-2012, 07:01 AM - Thread Starter

mommariffic, I'm glad to hear that, I tried to email them several times and never received a reply. Maybe phone is better?

#11 of 14 Old 06-09-2012, 07:46 PM

I think they are having trouble with their website -- I would call! 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#12 of 14 Old 06-12-2012, 07:57 AM

Last time I was at Cherry Grove Farm (Princeton area) they were petitioning for raw milk to be sold at farm stores, not sure how far they got with that. But, they do sell raw milk cheese.

#13 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 06:35 AM

Im sorry >_<<br />
What's u.p. stand for?
#14 of 14 Old 06-15-2012, 02:27 PM

Hi Angil, Ultra-Pasturized, I think.

Mom to Liam 9/06, spirit baby 3/09, and identical twins Mateo and Sebastian 10/11namaste.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page