Cloth Diaper causes red bottom. Any tips? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 05-18-2012, 07:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband and I have been cloth diapering B from the moment he was born. We started in pre-folds and covers and that worked fine. Every once in awhile we would get some severe redness that the doc called a yeast infection. We would treat it with a cream and move on. But recently, within the last few months it seems I can't put cloth near this kid without a red flair up. I have "sterilized" the diapers, bought a cloth diaper friendly bleach, bought cloth diaper friendly yeast infection cream. We apply it with an applicator and dispose of it so as not to contaminate the tub. We've moved from pre-folds to All in One's with the micro fiber insert thinking that would help with moisture. And I change his diaper religiously every three hours or less. Please, I'm desperate. I've invested and I'm passionate about cloth diapering. What can I change? What haven't I thought of?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 05-21-2012, 07:38 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm assuming you've already searched through the cloth diapering forum, but if not, that's where you'll find the best answers. It's been years since my babes were out of diapers, so I'm afraid I don't have much for you. It sounds like you've got a persistent infection. I would suggest slathering on a balm every time you diaper (helps create a moisture seal). My personal preference is the Earth Mama Angel Baby diaper cream, but there are lots of great ones out there (MotherLove, Burt's Bees, Buttcream, etc.) I suspect you may want to do something about the pH level of the water you're washing in. try searching the Diapering forum for threads that talk about pH.

Good luck!!!!

ex-Californian, making my way on the East Coast with DS (10), DS (6) and WAHDH. Former extended BF'er, co-sleeper, and baby-wearer. Remembering how to garden.

User Tag List