Great Pediatrician in South Jersey - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-20-2012, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi Everyone--

I want to change peds practices from Philly to Jersey. My daughter is nine so we are no longer breastfeeding but we do still bed share. I want a practice that is supportive of an AP style of parenting. 

We DO vaccinate so that's not an issue. I just want someone with access to CHOP if , heaven help us, we ever need it. I'd love a person who is, at least interested in breastfeeding and has some knowledge of nutrition and is open to such things. We live in Moorestown, I'm willing to travel about 30 minutes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

#2 of 6 Old 06-21-2012, 08:50 AM

Dr. Bryan Levey www.kidswellpeds.com.

LOVE LOVE LOVE him!  I was originally with CHOP's Faculty Practice.  Not at all happy with them (yes, I schlepped from Cherry Hill to Philly).  Got the recommendation for Dr Levey on this site and am very happy with him.  He practices both homeopathic & alopathic medicine. He's funny as hell and my son absolutely adores him.  

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#3 of 6 Old 06-21-2012, 02:25 PM - Thread Starter

I was up last night trolling the threads and read about him a lot. I'm going to call his off ice for a well check and see how we get along. Thank you so much for responding! I watched the video on his website's link where he talks about ADHD and was very impressed. My DD doesn't have any issues with that but I love the fact that he doesn't just throw drugs at people. That, to me, is a real sign of good doc. Thanks again!

#4 of 6 Old 06-22-2012, 05:25 AM

Interesting (but gross) story.

My son was complaining of a stomach ache.  We took him to see Dr. Levey.  He felt his stomach to see if anything was going on there and then, as always, checked for tickle bugs (my son is full of them :) ).  Then after, my son was horsing around, he threw him, face down, over his knee and was bouncing him up and down as we talked (my son was bend over his knee w/his midsection over his leg).  He stood him up and declared he was fine because if he had a tummy ache, the tickle and the bouncing would have produced screams, not laughter.  

We had a med check a few weeks later and I mentioned that my son grinds his teeth.  He looked at my son for a second and said "he had a stomach ache a few weeks back yes?"  I said yes.  He said "he has pin worms".  yikes.gif  HUH??????  How do you go from teeth grinding to pin worms?  He asked my son "does your butt itch?"  and my son said yes.  He said that teeth grinding in kids can be the sign of an intestinal parasite.  He said we can do two things.  We can just give him the medication which is harmless to us but not to the worms or... we can get up at 3:00 a.m., take a piece of tape,  basically wipe his tush with the tape and then send it to the lab for confirmation.  Yeah, we took the meds.  The interesting part is - he also gave us a homeopathic remedy for the teeth grinding as well.

He is a sole practitioner which means you may have a long wait in the waiting room but it's only because he just takes SOOOOO much time with his patients and their parents.  Feel free to tell him the Foxx family sent you :)

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#5 of 6 Old 06-25-2012, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

So we went and met Dr. Levey today. I must say I was totally impressed. I loved the experience and I think we're staying. My daughter is more conservative and was a bit put off about him being a man. She has only ever dealt with women.

I'm an IBCLC so that always seems to be a litmus test with people, especially docs. He was totally receptive, very pro-breastfeeding and respectful.

He did a mixed plan for my daughter of classic western meds mixed with home remedies and homeopathy.

Thank you for the recommendation!

#6 of 6 Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 PM

Hurray!  I'm so glad you liked him.  I hope your daughter warms up to him.  Maybe he'll get a woman doctor or nurse practitioner in there as he becomes more popular.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page