Radical black mama with interracial family looking for mamas to hang with in West Philly! - Mothering Forums
New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania > Radical black mama with interracial family looking for mamas to hang with in West Philly!
Simiya Sudduth's Avatar Simiya Sudduth 09:10 PM 06-22-2012

Greetings!

My partner is starting a graphic design job at a non-profit in Philadelphia and family and I are moving from STL to West Philadelphia in August and I am looking for some friends!

My family consists of myself, my 6 month old daughter and my male partner. We are into baby wearing, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, etc. and we are a mostly vegan family. I love to cook, ride bikes, spend time outdoors, sew, make art and play! I am also an artist and part time art teacher here in STL.

We are a multi-racial family I'm black, partner is white. Looking for some solidarity with black and brown mamas/ interracial families but really any like minded folks are just wonderful!!

We are also looking for recommendations on doctors that are no-vax/delayed schedule friendly in the area.

Peace!

lauren's Avatar lauren 08:50 PM 06-26-2012

Just wanted to say hello! I don't live in that area any more but used to live near Phila. I hope you find some like minded folks soon! I would think there would be lots of cool folks in West Philly. Is the Phila Folksong Society still going? I used to meet people at their shows a lot, but that was before kids!!

MamaPhilly's Avatar MamaPhilly 06:30 PM 07-08-2012
Look into a yahoo group called TBC Breastfeeding support (also a FB group). It's an amazing group of breast feeders and they have biweekly meetings in West Philly. It would be a great place to meet other moms.
It's affiliated with the birth center in Bryn Mawr, but anyone can attend. Good luck!
raebeespot's Avatar raebeespot 12:12 PM 07-14-2012

Hi!

I don't live in West Philly, but I'm there a lot. It sounds like we share many of the same interests, and I'm always excited to meet other radical parents in the area. My family is also multi-racial - I'm white, my partner is black, and we have a 7 month old. I'd be happy to point you to some other families, general West Philly awesomeness, as well as some doctor suggestions. I've also been to the TBC breastfeeding group a couple of times if you want to know more about that.

Send me a message if you'd like!

Binduspire's Avatar Binduspire 06:15 PM 01-20-2014

I know it's an old post, but thought I'd reach out.  I am interested in meeting up with similar parents, so let me know if you're still around.

Up