Hospital Birth with the Midwife Center (now at Mercy?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-23-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! I'm pregnant with my 2nd and trying to find a provider for (hopefully) a VBAC. I used the midwives at Magee last time, and liked them ok, but I ended up with a lot of interventions and a c-section anyway. I called the Midwife Center and they will take me as a client, but I have to birth at the hospital, which they are doing at Mercy now. 

Anyone have experience with that? I have heard lots of nice things about the birthing center, but nobody really talks about the hospital. What are the OBs like there?

#2 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 03:52 PM

I am a doula and I love working at Mercy.  If you are a patient of the midwives they will still be the one's overseeing your care unless there is a complication.  The OB's I have met there have all been very nice and very respectful of the midwives and the nurses have all been great too.  I've been there about 10 times and always like going there.  The midwives are incredible.  They are who I saw when I had my second.  I hope some of that info helps.  You still go to the center for your appointments.  I know a few VBAC mom's said that it made them sad to go there for their appointments when they knew they couldn't birth there but the care was worth it to them.

#3 of 6 Old 07-24-2012, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the feedback! I just got some other positive feedback about Mercy. 

I went to 42 weeks with my daughter and she was only 7 lb 8 oz. My mom and aunts also had long gestational periods. I know that nothing is definite, but I guess I'm pretty much assuming that I'm going to "run out of time". Last time, I was not prepared to make the judgment calls at the end, and I want to be a little more well-versed about induction methods and the choices I'll be presented with. I imagine that since I have now had a c-section, the pressure will be a little more intense. 

Definitely going to hire a doula this time. 

#4 of 6 Old 07-25-2012, 03:26 AM

I had a successful VBAC at Forbes in Monroeville. The drs. in the East Suburban OBGYN group (associated with the hospital) even encouraged me to try for the VBAC. Although he didn't deliver, Dr. Rubino was fantastic with the whole VBAC situation at my check-ups.

#5 of 6 Old 07-26-2012, 08:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks! It's nice to know they're out there. I have UPMC insurance and I just looked it up, Forbes is definitely one of those hospitals they are at war with. :(

I just went on a tour at the Midwife Center, but it was all about having a birth there. I'll have a chance to talk to them about the hospital next week at my appointment.

#6 of 6 Old 07-26-2012, 09:29 AM

I had my birth at Mercy as a Midwife Center patient. My water broke early and I had to spend 2 weeks there on bed rest. I really liked the nurses and Ob's that took care of me while I was on bed rest. The midwives came to see me during that time but more as a support system than medical providers at that point. Once I went into labor I was able to be cared for by a midwife again. I was induced once I got to 35 weeks and the midwife on call was there for the labor and birth. My lo had to go to the NICU and I have nothing nice to say about those nurses. One of the lactation nurses was good, Diane< i think. The other one was not helpful and actually gave misinformation. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page