What are the people like in Upstate NY? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 07-30-2012, 07:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm from Ulster County but I've been living in the UK the last 11 years.  I'd like to move back but want to be a bit further from my family for various reasons, so am thinking of Greene County, or up there somewhere?  I want space, privacy, woods, grass, trees, and it would be super nice to have like minded friends, you know, breastfeeding, cloth diaper type people.  I know there are those types near my parents in Ulster County- New Paltz, Woodstock, etc, but how about further up north an hour or 2?

Mom to dd1 7/2007, dd2 2/2010, and ds 7/2006 in heaven
#2 of 6 Old 08-07-2012, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)

Looks like your post was missed. 

Anyone have a recommendation?

#3 of 6 Old 08-18-2012, 03:37 AM

Well, Idk how far north you want to go but in Hoosick Falls, NY (which looks to be about 2 hours northeast-ish from Ulster County) there is at least one woman there that you may enjoy the company of.  She's a postpartum doula, breastfeeding mom (if I'm not mistaken) and she definitely uses cloth.  :)

It's a nice little town but it's in the middle of nowhere.

#4 of 6 Old 09-07-2012, 05:59 AM

I live in Utica (which I wouldn't recommend!) but I have friends in Albany who have found a nice, supportive community. When searching for homebirth midwives, Utica and Syracuse come up very short (only 1 legal option, that I know of), but Albany/Troy had quite a few choices.  I'd suggest looking around at smaller communities outside of those cities.  One good thing about Upstate (at least around Utica, and I think it's similar out in Albany) is that you can be "in the country" and still be less than a half an hour drive away from the city limits. 

#5 of 6 Old 09-07-2012, 01:26 PM

The Ithaca area is great for cloth diapering/breast feeding crunchy types - 3.5 hrs from New Paltz.

First Time Mom to Jonah Brian - born 7/21/11!  100% natural hospital birth.  EDD August 5th.  Married to James Lee on 2/29/08.  joy.gif

#6 of 6 Old 09-20-2012, 07:16 PM

Rochester is pretty far away from where you're looking, not in upstate NY at all but in WNY.  However, it's a fairly good area so far I've found.  There's an active homebirth community, a lot of doulas and such, a cloth diaper store, lots of farms for locally sourced foods, nice family activities for free or cheap, homeschool groups, Amish communities in the vicinity... it's not perfect by any means (where is?) but it has a lot of potential.  We just moved about six months ago from out of state and I'm still trying to get my footing, but we're getting there.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page