Which hospital in NJ supports natural birth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-14-2012, 03:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi,

I recently posted regarding homebirth and midwives cost etc.  I was wondering if I am not able to go that route, which hospital out of these 3 would be my best bet for a natural hospital birth, with least amount of forced medical intervention,  giving me mobility to move around during labor and liberty to be in diff positions for birth?

I am thinking between Hackettstown, Morristown and Princeton.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2012, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)

You need to look into practices instead ofjust hospitals.  All Women's Healthcare delivers at Hunterdon Medical center.  I went with them with my third birth and I loved them.  Buuuut, there is another practice that delivers at Hunterdon that has an almost 70% section rate and will not allow doulas!  dizzy.gif Here's another thread discussing All Womens.  There is a response in there in respect to losing a baby.  I lost a baby while I was going to them also, and they were amazingly kind and thoughtful. 

Old 08-14-2012, 06:50 PM

Hi LocaHijabi,

Here are the numbers on the hospitals you are considering: (taken from the NJ ICAN website, www.icanofnj.com)  All numbers are percentages of overall rates. 

Cesarean Birth: 1st number is primary c/s rate, 2nd number is rate overall

Hackettstown: 10.4/36.4

Morristown: 14.2/40.5

Princeton: 12.9/34.2

Epidural Use:

Hackettstown: 38.1

Morristown: 77.1

Princeton: 48.9

Episiotomy:

Hackettstown: 13.7

Morristown: 20.9

Princeton: 7.1

Labor Stimulation:

Hackettstown: 30.8

Morristown: 27.6

Princeton: 2.8

One plus of Morristown is that they are supportive of family-centered cesarean births, especially when midwife attended.  Morristown also has wireless monitors, which is helpful should continuous monitoring be recommended.  Also keep in mind that Morristown has a higher level NICU than the other hospitals, and this may impact the intervention rates.

I'd also throw it out there that Hunterdon Medical Center has great numbers, is working toward the baby-friendly certification, and has an outstanding practice of midwives/physicians working under its umbrella. 

That being said, I feel that your choice of care provider will have a greater impact on your birth experience than the hospital you choose.  If you'd like to talk about the different practitioners working out of each hospital, feel free to PM me. 

Carolyn

Mom to Liam 9/06, spirit baby 3/09, and identical twins Mateo and Sebastian 10/11namaste.gif

Old 08-14-2012, 06:55 PM

Great point about HMC, QueenOfTheMeadow!  That "other "practice (who shall remain unnamed) totally skews Hunterdon's rates, which are still pretty good due to those amazing midwives all All Women's Healthcare. 

Mom to Liam 9/06, spirit baby 3/09, and identical twins Mateo and Sebastian 10/11namaste.gif

Old 08-14-2012, 09:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your response.  Carolyn I can't seem to pm you.  I am not sure if it is due to recently joining or because of another reason.  Could you try and send me a pm and maybe I can respond to that.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:42 AM

Oh, and out of fairness, I need to add that there is also a fabulous Family Practice who is doing great work at HMC.

Old 08-15-2012, 09:54 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by budwana birth View Post

Great point about HMC, QueenOfTheMeadow!  That "other "practice (who shall remain unnamed) totally skews Hunterdon's rates, which are still pretty good due to those amazing midwives all All Women's Healthcare. 

wink1.gif

User Tag List