Back in NJ/NYC area and looking for friends (for me and my 3 year old dutch, german, american boy) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-14-2012, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

my son and I are moving back to the Princeton (probably Plainsboro) area and are looking for new friends.

Daddy is dutch and working abroad and it's been hard for us to have to say goodbye, but we are all waiting patiently to be re-united.

I am looking for nice, natural minded people who may be interested in playdates and the like.

If there are any dutch families out there we'd love to meet you too.

Thank you!

#2 of 3 Old 08-15-2012, 09:35 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)

There are plenty of natural-minded people in the Princeton/Plainsboro area.  You might consider joining your local Holistic Moms chapter...?   www.holisticmoms.org

There is a dutch language school up in Summit.  If you're in Plainsboro it's not so bad because you can hop on the Turnpike and get up there easily but not quite as quick from Princeton.

There is German school (I think it's a Saturday morning culture and language program) in Warren.  Also not particularly close but probably easier to get to from Princeton just because of the direction you have to go into.

Also, there's the Netherlands-America Association of the Delaware Valley out of the Philly area (so not far).

Last, Dutch history in NJ and the NYC area is ABUNDANT.  I did genealogical research on many Dutch lines and they pre-date this country being a country.  Everywhere you go (especially just North of Princeton on it's border in Belle Mead where there is a section called Harlingen; and then moving further North and slightly West into Somerset County) you will find place after place after place with Dutch names... Franklin township had tons of Dutch families as did Highland Park, Piscataway, Warren, etc.  Old cemeteries with names like TenEyck, Vermeulen, DeGroot... the list goes on.  It's wonderfully rich in Dutch history.  There are old Dutch churches scattered around and much of the area bordering Princeton included old Dutch farms.  Most of the libraries have information about this in their local history section.  I am most familiar with the Somerset County stuff (that library is in Bridgewater--and easy shot up Route 206 from Princeton).  Hopefully you will find it rich with history if not current-day Dutch culture.

Heather - Wife , Mommy  & Health & Wellness Educator, Speaker & Consultant 

Dairy, soy & corn free with limited gluten... yes, really. And journeying towards peace.  Blogging about both.

Let me guide you to find the food and lifestyle choices...
#3 of 3 Old 08-16-2012, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you so much for your interesting answer! I will definitely look at those.

Thanks also for the link. I had never heard of that group before.

:)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page