Looking for Central Jersey Preschool that will accept religious waiver for Vaxs - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am trying to get my 3 year old in preschool so I can finish up my degree at Kean before he starts Kindergarten, but can't find a preschool that will accept my noterized Religious Waiver for Vaxs.  They all claim to be private and they have a right to refuse for any reason.  Any advice is appreciated.

#2 of 6 Old 08-21-2012, 12:45 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)

According to the NJ Attorney General's office, religious exemption extends to all private, parochial and public institutions. It seems the school admins you have spoken with have given you erroneous information (or they are trying to intimidate you). Perhaps go back with this document http://www.nj.gov/health/cd/documents/religious_exemption.pdf or just include the statute number in your letter and ask them to contact the NJ Attorney General's office if they have any questions.

#3 of 6 Old 08-22-2012, 04:43 AM

Asiago - I believe that while private and perochial schools can accept the religious exemption - they do not have to - just like they do not have to accept every student in general.  I know that where my son attended pre-school and currently attends after school care - they do not take exemptions for any reason - even medical.  They are incredibly special needs friendly (my son has special needs) but that is their stand.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#4 of 6 Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 PM

Thanks Spotted Fox. According to the statute, wouldn't it be illegal for a private institution to deny it?

Quote:

All schools, child care centers, and local health officers may be advised that the religious exemption extends to private, parochial, and public institutions. When a parent or guardian submits their written religious exemption to immunization, which contains some religious reference, those persons charged with implementing administrative rules at N.J.A.C. 8:57 – 4.4, should not question whether the parent’s professed religious statement or stated belief is reasonable, acceptable, sincere and bona fide. In practice, if the written statement contains the word “religion” or “religious” or some reference thereto, then the statement should be accepted and the religious exemption of mandatory immunization(s) granted.

OP, you may also try posting on the NJ Vaccination Support site:

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/NJVaccinationSupport/messages

#5 of 6 Old 08-23-2012, 05:00 AM

Maybe because we attend a religion based day care and since our sect of that religion doesn't have a problem with immunizations, they'd call BS on anyone trying to claim otherwise.  They've never had a problem that I am aware of.

Walking to raise money for Apraxia - feel free to join me if you are in the area or donate http://www.apraxia-kids.org/southjerseywalk/juliefoxx
#6 of 6 Old 08-23-2012, 12:57 PM

Thanks SpottedFoxx.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page