Homeschooling in WNY - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 08-23-2012, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are there any other secular homeschoolers in WNY?  We're new to homeschooling and have been looking to meet some other homeschoolers in the area.  I've already been invited to a few groups but they all seem to be religious in nature.  For some meetups, that won't be a big deal.  But I'd be lying if I said it didn't make me feel a little out of place.  :P

#2 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 10:09 AM

Check out this map and listing of secular homeschool groups to see if there are any within driving distance for you: http://www.secularhomeschool.com/content/203-Secular-Homeschool-Support-Groups-by-State

#3 of 9 Old 08-24-2012, 10:46 AM - Thread Starter

There are no groups nearby, unfortunately.  I did message the one person listed sort of near us on the map a while ago and never got a response.  There has to be someone out there! lol

#4 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 07:03 PM

We'll be doing homeschooling in about five or so years.... but I have lots of friends also interested in homeschooling, and one friend who has a 4 or 5 year old, and she has a group of friends who are doing homeschooling. Buffalo area.

#5 of 9 Old 08-27-2012, 08:13 PM

I don't know how recent this list is, but maybe it can help: http://nyhen.org/LocalGroups.htm#WNY .

#6 of 9 Old 09-06-2012, 12:09 PM

Yes, there are several homeschool groups in Western New York.  If you visit www.nyhen.org- there is a complete list.  I'm the owner/moderator of WNYHomeschool on Yahoo!  Please join us.

Tracy Keller

#7 of 9 Old 09-06-2012, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

I'm actually already a member, thanks!  I also joined the NYHEN-Support yahoo group.  I'm not a fan of the yahoo group format though and don't follow either as closely as I'd like to.  You don't happen to have a facebook group for WNYHomeschool, do you?  I should probably just try harder to get involved that way though.  Most of the other groups I've been invited to have been religious in nature or even if not explicitly religious, only involve religious-based homeschooling families.  I was just hoping to bump into another secular homeschooler or two on MDC. :)

#8 of 9 Old 10-21-2012, 12:34 PM

I haven't been on MDC in a while, but we're a Buffalo secular homeschool family - I have 6yo boy. We don't run into too many secular folks, but, then again, we don't instigate that conversation much since most of the folks in our groups seem to be religious, and we don't really care. But if you want to chat, I'm here!

#9 of 9 Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Sissah!  My oldest is 6 as well, so that's cool.  Whereabouts are you guys located?  Right in the city?  (I tried pming you, but it says I don't have permission to send a message. I think my screenname is too new.)  I've been invited to a few homeschooling groups so far.  But they've all been church groups, so it definitely felt a little out of place for me.  Nice to finally meet another secular homeschooler in the area!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page