ICAN Meeting in Southeast PA/Philadelphia (cesarean support) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 10-15-2012, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey All,

For those of you who are cesarean-birthing mamas, I want to make sure you're clued in about our local chapter of the International Cesarean Awareness Network (ICAN). The Southeast PA chapter serves the Philly area as well and I have found it to be an incredibly useful partner in recovering from my own cesarean.

There's a meeting this coming Saturday that you may be interested in.

Monthly Meeting: Saturday, 10/20 @ 10am
Topic: Labor Support and Pain Management
- This will be a roundtable discussion including a doula, birthing mothers who've chosen various types (or no) pain meds and birth partners.
- The website is not updated to reflect this event yet, but you can RSVP to the facebook event page or you can just show up.
- It's free and babies/children are welcome to attend as well!

Additionally, f you're interested in participating in general but can't make this meeting, I'd love to hear from you, learn about what types of support you need (emotional recovery? VBAC-friendly doctors?) and work to ensure this community can help you.

Best,

Jen

#2 of 15 Old 10-22-2012, 05:44 PM

Hi,

I am currently 29 weeks pregnant. I am just trying to find out if my hospital is VBA2C friendly. I have tried asking my ob who keeps saying she will look into it. And since my hospital just opened a new hospital and closed the old one I havent been able to get a hold of anyone to find out. I am going to the new Einstein Montgomery in East Norriton/ Norristown. I am due Jan 7. I have had 2 cs. One was in 1997 and the other in 2001. So its been over 10 years since my last cs. The first one was for my son being 9lbs. 7oz. and the second one was bc my daughter went into fetal distress and her heartrate began to drop. I just would like to find out my options or if I should find another doctor. I have keystone mercy health insurance. Any info I could find out would be great!!

Thank you,

Tonya Weber

#3 of 15 Old 10-22-2012, 08:58 PM

Tonya, I was advised (within the past few weeks) that that facility will not assist with a vba2c.  I'm looking for a vba3c so that clearly means they're not a hospital for me.  If you find out that what I was told was wrong, please let me know. :)

#4 of 15 Old 10-23-2012, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Tonya and DBasset,

How frustrating! It does seem like a lot of folks don't have great luck with hospitals when it comes to VBAC-friendly facilities and doctors. And getting that info can be just as much of a challenge. How does your OB respond when you talk about having a VBAC?

I'm emailing the other ICAN Chapter Leader to see what she knows about this specific facility and get back to you.

All right...I'll repost when I hear.

Jen

#5 of 15 Old 10-23-2012, 03:49 PM

Jen, my current OB's office and the mw there have flat out refused to assist a vba3c and said I will be sectioned if I go into their hospital even if I'm ready to push.  I live in the Wilkes-Barre area and Einstein Montgomery is like 2 hours away...I reached out to them because I'm clearly desperate.

#6 of 15 Old 10-23-2012, 05:20 PM - Thread Starter

Oh that is SO maddening. This idea that Doctors get to "refuse" is beyond me. What was the reason for your 3 cesareans? Are you considering a home birth?

#7 of 15 Old 10-23-2012, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBassett View Post

Jen, my current OB's office and the mw there have flat out refused to assist a vba3c and said I will be sectioned if I go into their hospital even if I'm ready to push.  I live in the Wilkes-Barre area and Einstein Montgomery is like 2 hours away...I reached out to them because I'm clearly desperate.

I just want to let you know that College Heights OB/GYN at LVH in Allentown supported my VBA2C. They have an office at Muhlenberg in Bethlehem also.
Molly Peters was really great and especially supportive. Good luck! I hope you get your VBAC

Deb, Mom to Madeleine 8/2005 and Maia 11/2009 Nick: and Chris
#8 of 15 Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post

I just want to let you know that College Heights OB/GYN at LVH in Allentown supported my VBA2C. They have an office at Muhlenberg in Bethlehem also.
Molly Peters was really great and especially supportive. Good luck! I hope you get your VBAC

Congrats Mom2M! That's really good to hear.

#9 of 15 Old 10-25-2012, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jengb View Post

I'm emailing the other ICAN Chapter Leader to see what she knows about this specific facility and get back to you.

All right...I'll repost when I hear.

Jen

The other ICAN chapter leader had this to say:

She needs to pay her hospital a visit. The ones who hold hospital protocols are ultimately the nurses. On their web page they say they ARE Vba2c friendly and they even have a vbac webinar for free by their chief OB. However, experience tells me that the best way to know is to either call or visit and ask to speak directly to the head nurse of OB/Maternity floor. If her OB is skirting around this at 29 weeks it's not a good sign from the OB. Nonetheless, with a doula, proper determination, and knowing directly from the head nurse the good, the bad, and the ugly she might be able to have her vba2c...provided she shows up pretty advanced in labor or ready to push.

Is that helpful?

#10 of 15 Old 10-25-2012, 08:33 PM

Quote:

Oh that is SO maddening. This idea that Doctors get to "refuse" is beyond me. What was the reason for your 3 cesareans? Are you considering a home birth?

Well, it's a sad story really but I'll share.  First c/s was due to "failure to progress" after stalling for 3 hours.  I was 16 and didn't know any better.  Now I know that it was because I wasn't going fast enough according to the clock.  I was admitted at 11pm Feb 12th with no dilation- and of course, that's when the clock started for me.  Midnight, I was at 1cm and then they gave me something (against my will) to "help me sleep" (read: slow the labor).  Things didn't pick up again until noon when my water started to leak- the REAL time I should have gone to the hospital (well, at the earliest anyway).  Dr ruptured my waters without giving me a chance to consent.  At 4pm I was at 4cm...3cm in 3 hours sounds pretty darn good to me!  Then he announced that he was giving me an epidural.  Again, being so young, I didn't know the risks or that I really had the right to object to anything.  After my epi, things slowed down.  At 7pm, I was still at 4cm and then he informed me that I "needed" a c/s based purely on my "failure to progress".  There was nothing wrong with the baby or me.  Everything would have been perfectly fine if he hadn't been such a control freak.

C/s 2 was trickery.  If you're familiar with the Amber Marlowe story, let me just say, the dr that sought the court order was the dr that did my surgery.  He spent the entire pregnancy telling me he'd support my vbac.  Then, at 40 weeks, he said that I would have to schedule a c/s just in case I didn't go into labor on my own before 41 weeks.  C/s was scheduled for 40w6d and I went into labor the day of, in the pre-op room after registering and therefore technically singing all the consent forms- under the false pretenses that if I went into labor AT ANY TIME before the c/s, I'd be allowed to try.  Instead, he acknowledged the contrax, never checked dilation, and had a nurse come in when I could barely speak between contrax to prep me for surgery.  I was unable to fight for myself and DH stood there in shock, with his jaw on the floor, not knowing what to do because from his POV, it looked like I was ok with the surgery.

C/s 3 was a blatent refusal to vba2c.  Every dr (different office) spent the whole pregnancy telling me how dangerous a vba2c is.  One doctor said that ultimately the decision was mine but ended up getting consent from me while I was beyond exhaustion and drugged (stadol).  6 months later, ACOG updated their guidelines in support of vba2c.

The same practice is now telling me that if I had only had 2 sections they'd "allow" me to labor but because I've had 3 (the last one at their hands), they won't "allow" it and that they will just "section my anyway".

This is why I'm willing to travel 2 hours to Einstein if they would support me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2M View Post

Thank you so much for the info, I will contact them!

Quote:

The other ICAN chapter leader had this to say:

She needs to pay her hospital a visit. The ones who hold hospital protocols are ultimately the nurses. On their web page they say they ARE Vba2c friendly and they even have a vbac webinar for free by their chief OB. However, experience tells me that the best way to know is to either call or visit and ask to speak directly to the head nurse of OB/Maternity floor. If her OB is skirting around this at 29 weeks it's not a good sign from the OB. Nonetheless, with a doula, proper determination, and knowing directly from the head nurse the good, the bad, and the ugly she might be able to have her vba2c...provided she shows up pretty advanced in labor or ready to push.

Is that helpful?

Can she maybe direct us to where it says that on their website? I cannot find it.  I did watch the webinar a couple weeks ago and that does not seem completely anti-vba2c but that's the only semi-supportive information I've been able to locate.

#11 of 15 Old 10-25-2012, 08:37 PM

ah! In all fairness, I guess I wasn't told that the hospital wasn't supportive! I reread the email and it says 

Quote:
We don't take patients that are looking for a VBA2C unfortunately. 

but that is an email from Valley Birth Place that delivers their vbac's at Einstein! SOOOOOO That changes everything because it means that that practice doesn't support vba2c- not the hospital.  :)

#12 of 15 Old 10-27-2012, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

DBasset,

<SIgh> Thank you for sharing your story and I'm sorry it's been such a rough road. Wow, wow, wow. Your 2nd c must have been particularly demoralizing. Do you feel you've emotionally recovered from these experiences?

It sounds like you REALLY need truly supportive care providers on your side if you're going to receive the opportunity to VBAC and a really solid plan in place for every possible situation that might arise.

Do you have a doula? How is your husband with VBA3C? Do you need to give birth in a hospital?

#13 of 15 Old 10-29-2012, 11:46 PM

Thank you Jen.  No, I have not recovered from these experiences at all and that is one of the many reasons why it is so very important that I not have another unnecessary section.  I fear it will destroy me.

I do have a doula and my husband is extremely supportive of my decision to vbac.  At this point in time, he is uncomfortable with a home birth for us.  Because I am trying to avoid being backed into a situation that I am uncomfortable with (a repeat section) I cannot do the very thing to him that I do not want done to myself, so yes, I do need to birth in a hospital (or a birth center).  This is our middle ground.

He is aware that in the event that I absolutely cannot find care, a hb may be necessary- we will cross that bridge when we come to it if need be.

#14 of 15 Old 11-05-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry I'm just getting back to you!  And I hear that you haven't recovered yet and fear the emotional impact of a 4th cesarean. Such difficult matters, these are. I'm sending love and peace as you move through this pregnancy and prepare for birth. I've just begun therapy (EMDR) and have had some amazing results (meaning, 15mo post partum, I don't cry the minute my birth experience is mentioned, which is huge progress). I can only imagine how I'd feel in your situation and am so rooting for you to have a positive and healing birth experience!

Any luck with Einstein or College Heights?

Lehigh Valley also has an ICAN chapter and, since they are closer, they may be able to assist with options for you. Here's a link to their facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/ICAN-of-Lehigh-Valley/167339746660438

What's your due date?

#15 of 15 Old 11-06-2012, 02:49 AM

I've been busy so I haven't been able to find out anything about Einstein or College Heights but I hope to find time to do it today. I had reached out to the LHV ICAN and nobody really had any advice for me- which is of course a bit disheartening but it's probably a sign of how bad this area is for any kind of natural birth, let alone a vbac. I'm due Feb 27th so I still have a little bit of time here but not too much.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page