Self funded NY plan just excluded homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-17-2012, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband's company just excluded homebirth from being covered under their self funded plan (meaning they write their own plan and pay all the bills and let an insurance agency manage some parts). Before homebirth was unspecified and I guess because my husband and I started asking questions they felt they should take the time to exclude it. It seems they are worried that homebirth can increase NICU costs or some other non-evidence based fear.

Can any one help find me some studies that are simple enough the company might read them and see the potential cost savings of covering homebirth?  NYC details would obviously be most helpful.

#2 of 3 Old 10-17-2012, 10:59 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)

very sorry to hear that....... but I hope it make a big impact on you and your family and friends for this years elections!

my insurance company (way different from yours) didn't even want to cover what most do.......I personally want MORE mandates and MORE govt intervention to help--we had to fight and pay so much out of pocket 4 years ago and now some of what we had to pay is mandated and they must pay it.........I see far more good in requiring insurance companies to cover items, there was no way mine would  pay for a homebirth and they would not give us a straight answer if they would pay for a mid-wife or for required genetic testing that ALL my local hospitable required prior to admitting me, so I know what fun you are in store for! I was just told to submit and they would review after the fact!! Even routine blood work they would not pay for!

you might want to start in your case with the basic stats from the state dept of health as to the actual cost of a hospitable delivery yet in my case my insurance thought it was more cost effective to hospitalize my newborn for 5 days vs paying for a biliblanket so I don't think most are smart enough even when presented with black and white facts

good luck!!

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

#3 of 3 Old 10-17-2012, 11:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does being self-funded exempt them from NYS insurance laws?

Alexis, mom to DS 11/99 DD1 01/02 and DD2 09/23/11.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page