Hurricane Sandy Relief: What You Can Do - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

If you're like me, you're feeling helpless about what to do to aid our friends and loved ones on the East Coast. Let's use this thread to collect resources that help them.

1. The American Red Cross is accepting blood donations as well as monetary contributions to help residents on the East Coast affected by Sandy. To donate, visit their website, which also allows users to find their local Red Cross chapter and pinpoint areas in greatest need.

Or call 800-Red-Cross or text "Redcross" to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

2. LA-based Operation USA focuses on getting medical supplies and generators to affected areas. The organization accepts money, frequent flier miles and text-generated donations.

To quickly donate $10 to Operation USA, text "OPUSA" to 50555. To find out more about how you can contribute to ongoing relief efforts, visit their website.

3. The Salvation Army is helping East Coast with food and clean-up kits. Information on how you can donate to storm relief is listed on their website.

4. AmeriCares is delivering relief supplies, including bottled water and a mobile clinic for families affected by Sandy in the tri-state area.

5. Feeding America estimates as many as 35 of its food banks along the eastern sea board were affected by the storm. The nation’s largest domestic hunger-relief organization, Feeding America is accepting donations to help them provide food, water and other supplies to those affected by Sandy.

6. The White House offers suggestions on How To Help Survivors of Hurricane Sandy

7. 12 Ways To Help in New York City from treehugger.

8. Save the Children's domestic emergency teams in New Jersey and New York are helping families in shelters.

What local and national resources can you share?

#2 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 05:30 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Thank you, Peggy!

Someone moved my effing cheese.
#3 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 06:15 PM

Yes, Thanks Peggy. smile.gif

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#4 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Of course. Let's keep adding any others we know of.

#5 of 10 Old 11-03-2012, 07:21 PM

Peggy - could I post some other links for resources on open gas stations, shelters etc where people can go if they have no power/heat or a home left? And also other things like charging stations etc?

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#6 of 10 Old 11-04-2012, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, of course. Please do. That's just what I was hoping people would post. That way we can have resources that help those affected by the hurricane as well as those outside of the area who want to do something to help. Can't wait to see what you post. Thank you!

#7 of 10 Old 11-04-2012, 08:39 PM

Well gas is surely hard to come by - they are doing odd/even ration days so please check and see what your license plate is! I believe anything ending in a letter is automatically an odd day. We waited 4.5 hours for gas :/ The best places I've heard thus far are surprisingly down in Southern NJ and up near the PA border. If you find a line though my advice is to WAIT ON IT!! 

(I hope this link works) 

https://twitter.com/search?q=%23njgas&src=hash

That's a Twitter account for gas stations that are open - if you search for other NJ open and power companies you can also find updates!

Many places in your towns are handing our free water + ice and meals. If you google search or go to NJ.com you can look by county to see what's available. There are also charging stations for electronics --- we found that most malls are open and you can go and plug in there : ) 

And because I'm tired I'll post one more thing - there are so many ways to help. 

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/11/nj_residents_have_many_options.html

This link is CHOCK full of options! 

blogging.jpg    fambedsingle2.gif  homebirth.jpg  read.gif  happy momma to DD 8/07 and DS 6/10
#8 of 10 Old 11-05-2012, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much, mommariffic! These are fantastic resources. Can you get out to the store to get food? What are you and your neighbors doing about food?

#9 of 10 Old 11-06-2012, 12:13 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

Peggy thank you very much!!!

#10 of 10 Old 11-06-2012, 06:43 PM

I can get to the store for food - we have plenty of freeze dried and non perishable things : ) So we are set -- 

Tags
Family

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page