Relief Worker crash space - *Arrangements have been made. THANKS* - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My dh has been offered a job with the relief efforts. We can afford to fly him out the day after Thanksgiving so he can start work the following day. I just need line up a place for him to stay and a way for him to get to whatever sites they'll want to send him to. He'll be there for 4 weeks, so he'll be back home for Christmas. He'll also have the option to fly back out in early January and stay for about 8 weeks, but for right now we're just worrying about the Thanksgiving till Christmas time period.

The biggest issue is the car. Rental prices have skyrocketed out there, and we can only afford about $200 per week plus insurance. 

As for crash space, he will be working roughly 70 - 80 hrs per week. He's 6'7" so a longer couch, spare bed, mattress on the floor, whatever will work. Air mattresses aren't typically designed to handle his weight, though. Other than that, a shelf in the pantry/fridge/etc is all he really needs. We realize there may be no electricity or running water, and that's fine. He can make do as well as anyone else. Obviously, being able to shower and do laundry will be a bonus, but he'll be happy for whatever we can find. We can afford to pay some for crash space, but it will depend how much the car costs. We'd like to keep our costs for transportation and lodging around $300 per week, so he can still send money home to pay for food and heat and such for our family this winter.

Dh has a single speeding ticket about 2 years ago, and an otherwise clean record. He typically works in security so he passes federal background and drug tests on a regular basis, and is licensed in 2 states right now. He is a sweet man. If anything, he's a bit of a pushover. There's no history of abusive behavior. He and I would be happy to talk over the phone, or skype, ahead of time too, of course. 

Affordable organics delivered from GREEN POLKADOT BOX

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Mama to guitar.gif Crash (14) and hippie.gifSpritely (12)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 12:21 PM

Where in NJ will he be based/working?  You might have more luck if you have details of that.  In the NW area of the state something like 95-97% has power restored and I think it's mainly just coastal areas who are still without power.

I can't offer any practical assistance, but did you look on Craigslist for the area too?  I saw some offers on there for roommates and so on..

Mummy to two,  vbac.gif winner.jpgsigncirc1.gif
Old 11-12-2012, 03:35 PM - Thread Starter

They aren't planning to focus him on a particular area. They plan to have him clearing rubble and salvaging supplies from buildings with "sensitive" contents...like pharmacies or banks or other places where they want even the manual laborers to be able to pass in depth background checks. It could be a different location each day, depending how long each one takes, and they're working all over the effected region. Just knowing that they'll be assigning him to a crew that's only working in NJ is as narrowed down as they can get.

There are a lot of rooms for rent for cheap, or even folks offering rooms free for workers...on both cl and airbnb....I figured I'd post on mdc first, though. Since I've been a member for so long, it feels less like dealing with strangers, you know? More like setting things up with a friend of a friend (or maybe just a friend, depending who responds. lol) 

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)

I could ask at my church if you like. We are in North/middle of NJ...Is that OK?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

That would be great, thank you.

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Old 11-14-2012, 04:58 PM

I'm so so sorry...no one can help. Here is the radio station for NJ...may they information that can help. Maybe a church is housing workers??? I did try. I wish I had space to let him stay here. REALLY!!

www.NJ1015.com

Old 11-14-2012, 05:06 PM - Thread Starter

It's ok. I'm sure we'll find something. We still have plenty of time. Car rental prices are starting to drop down to more normal ranges already, so I think we'll be able to do a normal rental within our budget by the time he heads out. Thanks for the radio station info. I'll get ahold of them and see what kind of resources are available. I guess they can't send any workers into NJ yet, anyway, because the state is negotiating with FEMA over the results of their damage assessment. Work won't start until they come to an agreement and know exactly what work is being contracted to who. The staffing company supplying workers says they expect to see the assessment finalized sometime next week. They are sending all their workers into NY right now, but there are more workers than spots available in NY...it will be the other way around in NJ, once they get started there. They can't imagine finding enough workers to fill all the positions that FEMA has suggested in their initial assessment, let alone the number the state wants funding for.

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Old 11-14-2012, 05:51 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)

What type of organization is he working with and why are they not providing the housing and transportation?

I am in PA (right on the NJ line) and there are several groups in my area that stay here and are sent daily into NJ-most organizations are footing the entire bill and providing transportation.

There have been several reports locally that the housing is going first to victims (hotel rooms, etc) via approved FEMA but many are also being taken up by non-FEMA. 

pro-transparency advocate

&

lurk.gif  PROUD member of the .3% club!

Want to join? Just ask me!

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 11-14-2012, 10:27 PM - Thread Starter

It's a staffing agency that provides workers to organizations and corporations after disasters worldwide. It's not a first response organization, which is what you're thinking of. These are the organizations that do the bulk of the work after these things. The workers that come from these type of staffing agencies are the ones that will be digging out and rebuilding the region for the next year plus. Folks like dh come in after the emergency work is done. When the clients provide housing and transportation, they charge a large portion of the workers' pay for it. It's pretty rare for that to even be an option somewhere with as many lodging options as NJ, though. 

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Old 11-15-2012, 06:02 AM

Quote:
It's not a first response organization, which is what you're thinking of.

that is not what I am thinking of- I am talking about paid workers brought in by companies already established within the tristate area, this is happening in my area right now- these are not relief workers, they must commute to the areas because of the lack of housing

in the hardest hit areas housing is and will continue to be a major issue for the residents and their needs take presidents over outsiders needing housing

my understanding is that staffing will be at best minimum (frankly many appose this flat out and I am connected to the staffing industry so I have a very clear view of what is currently happening) and the priority for workers is to go to displaced residents within the states and the what housing is available is also to go first to them-IMO I agree with the majority is this view, real sensitivity regarding this issue needs to be had, some areas already have had issues with others from outside being brought in and hasn't gone well

ETA- just to let your know, if your DH is doing a unionized type job (irregardless that he is with a temp agency) this also is not something that goes over well in this area

&

"You know, in my day we used to sit on our ass smoking Parliaments for nine months.

Today, you have one piece of Brie and everybody goes berserk."      ROTFLMAO.gif 

Old 11-15-2012, 08:30 AM

you might want to do some checking into the agency your DH plans to use

Reputable agencies (and their are many) usually do pay the daily per diem for lodging, transportation out of state and generally wish to house all workers in the same location-most do all the arrangements as well. For you do be doing this really draws lots of questions, not all staffing companies are good and especially those sending out of state that require you seek the transportation/housing, etc, I would really worry about getting paid by them. Your DH might find himself stuck without pay.

&

Old 11-15-2012, 09:23 AM

Serenbat makes a good point

Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 PM - Thread Starter

UPDATE---- We have everything reserved and arranged. Thanks for all the tips and advice. It was a great help.

Serenbat-

I appreciate that you have strong opinions on the matter, and we have been warned that folks in your area were unusually resistant to aid because of their political views. It's not some neighboring army stopping aid workers from helping...but the victims themselves stopping workers from saving them. A completely unique situation in history. That's one of the reasons it took so long to get power up. The power company requested workers, and the locals attacked them when they tried to make repairs because some of them weren't part of the local unions. Even though the unions didn't have enough workers, people would rather go without power than have a non union worker help get it turned back on. Demanding free food in one breath, and refusing aid from the people able to offer it in the next. They're having a tough time finding workers willing to go into such a troubled area. Honestly, I'm torn about dh's decision to help. Unfortunately, in order to help the people willing to be helped...the people stubborn enough to let themselves or others suffer or die for their pride...they also have to deal with receiving help. I know a lot of the long time relief workers are sitting this one out because the victims are so entitled, resistant, and aggressive that the workers aren't willing to deal with the increased risk and offensive attitudes.

Unfortunately, your local unions just don't have the manpower to handle the work that needs to be done in a reasonable amount of time. There are several companies that bring workers into emergencies around the world, and not being part of a local union does not make them disreputable. FEMA and Red Cross and other emergency organizations send out email news blasts to people that have worked with such companies before, shortly after disasters. They tell us at least some of the companies coordinating for the disaster, so we can begin to make arrangements. It varies from disaster to disaster, based on who has offices and existing relationships in each area. Also, your statements about standard practice simply aren't true. You're making very broad assumptions based on very little knowledge or experience. We've been involved in relief work most of our adult lives, and you are confusing the processes of different phases. Most of the workers will be relocating, with their families, to the effected area until their job is done. Dh just comes in for particularly sensitive work, which will be done within a few months in this region (sometimes it's done in weeks, but it will take longer because of local resistance). You might have some union workers that can do some of what he does, but there simply isn't a union for this kind of thing. We've never had any issues with not getting paid over the years, nor have we heard complaints from anyone else we've met while working different disasters. In the past, we've relocated with dh and weren't paying for 2 households...or have had friends in the area for him to stay with...or have simply eaten the cost of accepting company housing/transportation. He hadn't planned on doing this work anymore, as he will be working with our local hospital starting in spring...but then a big USA disaster happened while he was available...and there is more work than workers out there.

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Old 11-15-2012, 05:46 PM

Quote:
and we have been warned that folks in your area were unusually resistant to aid because of their political views.

With an attitude like this your DH will not be warmly welcome! WOW- you really do not understand this area well. 

Even without the hurricane this area is heavily unionized and with that most contracts stipulate the statics of temps build right into the wording. That still need to be honored they are binding contracts and we do follow the laws. That should not be viewed as resistant, it called legal/the law and many fought for those rights.

Many also did not (and still do not) take lightly to giving up housing (be it hotels, etc) for others at this time given the great need. The NYC marathon did not go over well in public opinion and some of it came from hotels being asked to take the runners, thus turing out people that have lost their homes. There is a reason some are commuting hours and from other states so not to displace more residents. In my area they are traveling 3 plus hours a day each way.

Non-paid volunteers are view far differently vs out of state transient workers just here to make a quick buck.

&

Old 11-15-2012, 05:57 PM

The county I grew up in was without power for almost 2 weeks.  Staff brought in from other states to help remove fallen trees and restore power were greeted and appreciated.

I'm not sure what the point is of trying to scare away a worker who has already committed to doing the job.  Casting a negative stereotype about the state of New Jersey and how its residents respond to aid workers is not helpful to anyone.

A, jammin.gif mama to a boy (2005) and a girl (2009)
Old 11-15-2012, 06:45 PM

yeahthat.gif

I find it strange the OP was told her husband would not be welcome here, she gave a reason why some may not welcome him, and then it was said "wrong! Now he really won't be welcome!" 

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

Old 11-15-2012, 06:47 PM

And as someone who lives in southern New Jersey (luckily no real damage in our area) I just wanted to say thank you to your husband! Its true he is getting paid to work with the relief effort, but that doesn't mean he isn't still making a sacrifice to help those in need. 

lactivist.gifnovaxnocirc.gif Acd.gif'ing, winner.jpg,familybed1.gif,femalesling.GIFread.gif Momma to one DD 1/1/12 ribboncesarean.gif. Trying to goorganic.jpg and hoping for a hbac.gif next time!

Old 11-15-2012, 07:00 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what the point is of trying to scare away a worker who has already committed to doing the job.

I don't know what you are referring to but I do know that there are unsavory people and companies (staffing included) that do try and take advantage and make a quick buck off of other's tragedies. Skilled workers are appreciated that is vastly different form those that are trying to take advantage of others. And as I did point out, there are many companies that are helping and go out of their way to do so that does not cause more hardship for those directly effected--ex. commuting and not taking lodging in the effected areas.

Frankly the OP's posts seems very odd-IMO

If you have such a highly skilled needed worker who works for a reputable company you don't look on your own for a flight, a car and housing- that really does not add up.

Coordination is what is in demand, the Red Cross doesn't want material donations nor do municipalities want or need more helpers on their own, they work with companies and most want to know where there workers are staying thus they do this.......coordination is desired.

Having a a preconceived view, wrong, negative or misleading attitude certainly will not help the DH with the "locals" either. I find that comment about the people in this area highly insulting!

&

Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaT View Post

And as someone who lives in southern New Jersey (luckily no real damage in our area) I just wanted to say thank you to your husband! Its true he is getting paid to work with the relief effort, but that doesn't mean he isn't still making a sacrifice to help those in need. 

Thank you, Amanda. And, we realize that not everyone in NJ is hostile toward the folks coming in to help them. It's the first time we've ever encountered attitudes like serenbat from those in need of help, though. I have to admit I don't understand it at all. I do expect that as more time goes by, and their lives don't go back to normal like they expect, they will come to appreciate more and more of the efforts being made to help them though. 

Wife to jammin.gif Beast 

Old 11-16-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
 we have been warned that folks in your area were unusually resistant to aid because of their political views. 

Quote:
 FEMA and Red Cross and other emergency organizations send out email news blasts to people that have worked with such companies before, shortly after disasters.

Legitimate respectable organization and those connected to FEMA and Red Cross are nonpartisan and do not make remarks like the OP stated.

The false assumption of this categorization is offensive and self-serving.

&

User Tag List