Binghamton area moms or anyone who has lived there - need info on schools, neighborhoods,etc - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-22-2012, 09:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I used to post all the time (many years ago) but gradually stopped posting as I ran out of time. But I have some questions and need advice, and where better to ask then here. My husband recently got a job in Binghamton, so we will be moving there in the next few months. He can live with his parents while we figure out where we want to live(we currently live in southern PA), so I have time to pick a good area. So if anyone can help me with any of these questions, that'd be great. We have 4 kids currently in grades 5,3,1, and pre-k.

Schools-
Which schools start kids playing strings and band instruments in 4th grade or 5th? Do any schools have an orchestra?
My son has high functioning autism. Any advice on good/bad schools for special needs?
Clubs in the mid/high grades like dance club, and sports- good/bad schools for this?
Two of my children have sensory integrationproblems. Are any schools good/bad about wearing compression vests, lap mats, seating cushions, etc.
My oldest is in LEAP. Does NY have LEAP or an equivalent gifted program?

We want a home that has at least half an acre or more, so I'm hoping that we can find a school that has these strengths as well as slightly rural living. Also we have a wide variety of pets and I'm not certain what zoning laws and pet rules are there in the cities. But we don't want my husband to commute too far so I am basically looking within a 20 mile radius of Binghamton.

Also, I babysit in my home. What do people charge in that area for full-time, part-time care? Once we move I don't want to charge too much or too little. I have been researching NY law on in home care and I believe I can watch 3 children and remain unlicensed, since my children will all be in school next year. Does that sound about right/wrong?

Also what doctors are good with special needs kids?

Thanks so much!!!

Lisa, mom to M : 6/02, R : 6/04, m/c 6/8/05, L 6/06, and E 8/07
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 09:35 PM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)

Welcome back! Anyone from this area have information to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We live in Vestal http://www.vestal.stier.org/ our school is one of the highlights of living in this area

Endwell and Binghamton also have good reputations

Wife om.gif mamaluxlove.gif to five And citizen of Earthearth.gif

User Tag List