Vaccine exemption in NJ + preschool recs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 01-19-2013, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hey mamas,

I have a few questions. My oldest will be 4 in April, and I'm looking into preschool for him. We delay/selectively vax, and I'm trying to figure out what the best way to go about a vax exemption letter is. When I write the letter, do I act as if he hasn't been vaxed at all, and state that it goes against our religious beliefs? Do you have to claim all or nothing here?

When they ask for his paperwork, do I just include our letter in replace of his vax records, or should I bring this up ahead of time with them?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a good preschool in South Jersey? We are in Gloucester County (Mullica Hill).

TIA! :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 01-21-2013, 12:06 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)

Welcome to Mothering romajo!

For your questions about vaccination exemption in NJ you might get more info over in the I'm Not Vaccinating forum. 

Hopefully someone in your area will post with recommendations for a preschool. :)

#3 of 6 Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

I'll post over there as well :) Thanks!

#4 of 6 Old 01-26-2013, 02:01 PM

Hi,

I'm not in your area, but I do live in NJ.  I'm answering just in case you don't get people from NJ answering in the other forum.  There is a yahoo group called NJvaccinationsupport for specifics about NJ exemption.  I just wrote a letter stating it was against the principles of my religion to get vaccinated when my daughter started preschool (she's 4 also), and I included it in the packet requesting the vaccination records (I did NOT discuss this with anyone, before, during or after).  I did not include ANY vaccinations, it only leaves the door open for questions and doubts about why your religion would be okay with some and not others.  Also, it is best to leave it simple and to the point.  My whole letter was no more than 3 sentences.  You must state it is against your religion, and why it is against your religion.  I wrote that it was against my religion because it was against the tenants of my religion (yes, circular, but it works). From the experience in the yahoo group, in NJ, the longer the letter, the more chance you get of getting a call from an auditing nurse.  Also, general advise is not to get into verbal discussions with the school staff when you submit the letter.  Just submit it.  If they ask any questions, just ask if what you submitted is lacking, they should not be asking you what religion you are, etc...

Let me know if you need the wording I used.

#5 of 6 Old 06-03-2013, 06:30 PM

Juliamaite- great advise! My son is 21 months and I have decided not to continue on with vaccinations. Sadly, I am thinking of preschool and kindergarten registration/ vaccination records.
#6 of 6 Old 06-25-2013, 08:51 PM

JuliaMaite,

may i ask how you know that you must explain why exactly vaccination is against your religious beliefs? I am preparing to write up an RE for the first time, I am keeping it short and simple and stating it is against our sincerely held religious beliefs...but i didn't know that you had to give detail about how exactly. Are you sure about that? I tried to PM you but since i am a new member i guess, i am unable to. Would you mind sharing the wording you used?

smile.gif

thank you very much!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page