Great towns to live in outside of Philidelphia? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-22-2013, 05:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are looking to move from outside of Woodstock, NY (two girls 4 & 2) to outside of Philidelphia. Curious about the better school districts and like minded communities?  We have heard the Lower Merion school district is great and also good things about Chesnut Hill?  Any advice would be greatly apprciated!

#2 of 4 Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 AM

I live in Philly and teach in the suburbs. I guess it really depends on what type of community you are interested in. I like lower Moreland and new hope soleberry (both are very small and wealthier communities and the schools are great). When my children are school age we will move to the suburbs to be in a good school district because the Philly school district is terrible IMO.
#3 of 4 Old 01-10-2014, 08:44 PM

West Mt.Airy is right next to Chestnut Hill, and is a great area.

#4 of 4 Old 01-11-2014, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

West Mt. Airy is cute and has a co-op, a few alternative medicine/yoga offices, etc. But it's still part of Philly, so if you live there you pay Philly taxes. Grr. I nannied in Narberth (on the mainline, very easy to zip into the city on the train) and it is small but a great community feel. There is an established group of moms as well as a womens group and everything is walkable within the borough. If you're super crunchy, you might stand out a bit but everyone seems so welcoming and inclusive that I'm not sure it'd matter much. Close to a Trader Joe's and Whole Foods, as well as many Main Line options for alt medicine and chiropractic. It's Lower Merion School District, too :) 

24 years old. Central PA. Married to a medical student. DD1 - Valentine's Day 2013. treehugger.giflactivist.gifcaffix.gifdelayedvax.giffamilybed1.gifwhale.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page