Mothering Forum banner

Staten Island, Brooklyn, & NYC Homebirths

468 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  astridbogota7 
#1 ·
Hi I am in Staten Island, NY and I am looking to have a homebirth sometime in the very near future. I was hoping to get some input on midwives in the area or 5 boroughs that I could look into. I would love to hear reviews on midwives in the area and your experiences. I would also like some info on insurance and what was covered....thank you

Kathleen

#2 ·
There are no midwives on Staten Island that attend homebirths. However many of the midwives in the area - Brooklyn, Manhattan, northern NJ will come to SI.

Here's a good place to start

http://www.nyhomebirth.com/Find-A-Midwife/

Meeting with the midwives to get a gut feeling for how you'd work together is probably the best way to make a decision, in my opinion.

My understanding is that insurance coverage varies greatly depending on your insurance, but the law is on your side in NY. When you meet with a midwife, she should be able to offer more insight based on your specific situation.

#3 ·
Thank your for your reply and I actually do know of that website! I remember reading people experiences on the different midwives and i cant seem to remember where I did. I liked how the women talked about how their midwives were during labor hands on etc or letting mom be...and I know i read a few that when they interviewed they had a great connection but when it came to the birth it was not what they expected out of the midwife. I would really like to hear personal experiences. Do you have one? Thanks for the heads up on insurances.
smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.