Can anyone recommend a Bergen County, NJ OB/GYN for someone who is over 40 and will soon begin trying to have her first baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-09-2013, 11:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I am a newbie to the site and excited to be a part of this like minded community.

I'm hoping you all can help me! I am 43 and am starting to plan to try and have a baby.  I know I should have started trying sooner but circumstance did not lend itself to it.  I am looking for an OB/GYN in my area that delivers babies for women my age plus hopefully has a midwife on staff or at least looks at a woman holistically.

Does anyone have experience with a doctor or MW out of Bergen County, NJ they'd recommend? Perhaps a Doctor that is affiliated with Hackensack or Valley Hospitals?

Any help you can give is MUCH appreciated!! Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 02-10-2013, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is Mountainside Hospital in Montclair a possibility? Dr. Winsome Parchment is very well respected and highly recommended by women looking for a more holistic experience.

Mom to Liam 9/06, spirit baby 3/09, and identical twins Mateo and Sebastian 10/11namaste.gif

#3 of 12 Old 02-10-2013, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

That is definitely a possibility.  Thank you so much for sharing!

#4 of 12 Old 02-11-2013, 02:44 PM

Have you looked at the providers from New Jersey BirthNetwork?  http://www.njbirthnetwork.org/Provider_Directory.html   They've all signed the Mother Friendly Childbirth Initiative. http://www.motherfriendly.org/MFCI  

There are also some really phenomenal questions here to ask prospective doctors to see if they are on board with your wishes.  http://www.motherfriendly.org/Resources/Documents/Having_a_Baby-English.pdf

And finally, just know that having a midwife as your primary is a really solid option.  You can watch movies like The Business of Being Born, More Business of Being Born, Laboring Under the Illusion, and My Body, My Baby, My Birth to get ideas of what might work for you.  I have them in my lending library for my childbirth students and they're really good!

Cindy + DH Paul = DS1 (4/26/06), DS2 (11/30/07), DD (12/20/10) & surprise 4th edition coming in April 2014.

Bradley Method Natural Childbirth Educator, Doula, and Breastfeeding Counselor

#5 of 12 Old 02-11-2013, 06:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you so much GreenMama for all that helpful information.  I didn't realize I could have a midwife as my primary.  I just felt that I was high risk because of my age.  I had planned on watching those movies as well.  As you can imagine, this is a whole new frontier for me.  I appreciate you taking the time out to respond to me.

#6 of 12 Old 02-11-2013, 07:09 PM

Is Morristown in your travel range?  If so, there are a few groups of midwives, and a favorite OB of mine who I would also highly recommend.

Mom to Liam 9/06, spirit baby 3/09, and identical twins Mateo and Sebastian 10/11namaste.gif

#7 of 12 Old 02-11-2013, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Hello budwana birth :)

I am up in Mahwah so a straight shot down 287 would not be too far to travel for a good fit.  That is really nice that you have an OB you would highly recommend.  None of my friends used midwives and many of their OBs have since stopped delivering babies.

#8 of 12 Old 02-11-2013, 08:08 PM

Oh, well then that opens up a lot of possibilities!  There may be mamas on here who are familiar with the Bergen County hospitals and have good recs, but my knowledge is limited in that area. 

I just adore Dr. Judy Banks.  In my experience, she is open to whatever will not put her license in danger of being revoked.  :)  She is very midwifey, takes tons of time with you in office visits (though, you may have to wait your turn for a while in the waiting room while she gives another woman her time) and I really like that she is in solo practice.  You will get to know her very well.  Here is a blog post I wrote about her.  http://www.doulanj.com/blog.html

The Avalon midwives are another option.  I have been to several births with them.  There are alot of threads on MDC with members sharing their experiences.  Hackettstown Midwives also work out of Morristown.  I have only worked with them twice, only have good things to say.  Both Hackettstown and Avalon have facebook pages- it might give you a little idea of their approach.  I'd also recommend setting up a consultation with anyone you're considering and asking all that is in your heart and on your mind.

#9 of 12 Old 02-18-2013, 04:07 PM

Avalon Midwives are great and I traveled to them for my second birth (from Hillsdale in bergen County to their office in W Caldwell- I think).  They deliver out of Morristown which was a great hospital.  In BC there are not very many midwives .  Dr Dicker has a midwife on staff (Christine) and they are both great.

http://www.lma-llc.com/offices/bergen_center_for_wmn_health_182/physicians.html

good luck,

Brenda

#10 of 12 Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you Brenda for your input. I am really getting the sense that there is a shortage of OBGYNs in Bergen County that support natural child birth.   I saw that they opened a birthing center at Valley Hospital but I haven't heard about any experiences there.

#11 of 12 Old 03-12-2013, 06:49 PM

Valley is pretty good....not sure if they have any tubs though.  Valley also has a doula program so think that makes them a 'little' more open to natural/holisitc birthing.  I think it is more about your provider than the hospital.  You just have to remain strong in your convictions.  Each of my births was c/s but my midwives let me go 2 weeks late...even w/ the second when I was trying for VBAC.   With my first I labored FOREVER and everyone at the hospital left me alone...they came to monitor me intermittently and really let the process happen organically, that was probably bec I was w/ a midwife practice (who are now in Clifton I think, not sure what hospital).

gl,

Brenda

#12 of 12 Old 03-12-2013, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

I would prefer to deliver at valley only because of its proximity to my home but just couldn't find someone locally.  Feeling like I wanted to try a female for a change so I called Dr. Judy Banks. Currently they are not taking any new patients unless they are pregnant.  Therefore, I made an appointment with Avalon. 

Thanks again to all of you for sharing smile.gif

User Tag List