Vaccines for newborns in NJ/Princeton area - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-21-2013, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello all,

I am a first time mom and am trying to research vaccines that are given at birth.  I'm overwhelmed by the information out there.  I'm trying to find out what is mandatory and what isn't.  Also, does anyone have experience at University Medical Center at Princeton regarding declining vaccinations?

If you have any insight, I'd be happy to hear it as I feel I don't know which way to go, but I don't want to make the wrong choice either.

Thanks.

#2 of 7 Old 03-12-2013, 09:13 AM

Nothing is mandatory, especially at birth.  The only time you can have an issue is getting into school, and there is a religious exemption for that.

Good Luck!

Cora

PS - I am the leader of Holistic Moms Mercer County :)  I am posting about our next meeting.  You should come!

#3 of 7 Old 03-12-2013, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Hi LianasMom,

Thank you so much for your reply!  Is there a list of vaccines available that they give at birth?  I just feel like they are going to bombard me with it, my OB already did with the flu shot (which I did not get).  I also have to have a C-Section so I'm just very worried about it.

When/where is your next meeting or where can I get information?  It would be great to have a local connection since I sometimes feel like I'm lost in a herd of sheep!

Thanks again :)

#4 of 7 Old 03-15-2013, 01:13 PM

At birth it is just the vitamin K shot and Hep B.  You can refuse both, just have it in writing!

Did you see my post about the meeting next week?  You can email us at hmnmercer@gmail.com too.

#5 of 7 Old 03-18-2013, 06:17 AM

you are also able to refuse the eye ointment at birth.  It's only done as a routine procedure and for mamas with or at risk for certain STDs.  I delivered in Trenton, not Princeton, but had no trouble refusing the shots and eye ointment.  

#6 of 7 Old 03-18-2013, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianasMom View Post

At birth it is just the vitamin K shot and Hep B.  You can refuse both, just have it in writing!

Did you see my post about the meeting next week?  You can email us at hmnmercer@gmail.com too.

I did see your post, but I won't be able to make it.  I did save the website though and I'll hang onto the email as well.  Thanks so much for the information, I appreciate it :)

#7 of 7 Old 03-18-2013, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaybaby918 View Post

you are also able to refuse the eye ointment at birth.  It's only done as a routine procedure and for mamas with or at risk for certain STDs.  I delivered in Trenton, not Princeton, but had no trouble refusing the shots and eye ointment.  

Great to hear, thanks for your input!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page