emergency PPD help needed in Manhattan - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-29-2013, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I'm writing here because I don't know where else to post.  A lifelong friend of mine lives in Manhattan with four kids.  The youngest two are 4mos and 20mos.  She is suffering from PPD and recently told me just how bad it's become.

I live in Florida.  I could leave with enough notice to help her, but not on short notice.

She has recently gotten worse, sees a therapist over the phone (she is agoraphobic) and is struggling to the point her therapist has said she needs (1) fulltime help at home for two weeks or (2) be admitted for a psych evaluation at a hospital.  Her therapist has said this help needs to be in place by Sunday night or else it's time to be admitted.

She had tried to set up a nanny at $15/hr for 2 hours a day some weeks ago, but it didn't happen.  She has essentially no support system in the city.

I don't know how to help her.  Does anyone here have ideas/local contacts/local organizations?

#2 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 05:19 AM

I know its not what you want to hear but it may be time to call division of family services. They can help

Momma of twins born in May, 2011. 32 weekers. Loving every minute. Breastfeeding still going strong as toddlers after crazy rocky beginning with bottle feeding in NICU for a month. Would love to share any information about how we made it to breastfeeding today with anyone in need of support  

#3 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 05:20 AM

Can you call her therapist regarding resources?

Momma of twins born in May, 2011. 32 weekers. Loving every minute. Breastfeeding still going strong as toddlers after crazy rocky beginning with bottle feeding in NICU for a month. Would love to share any information about how we made it to breastfeeding today with anyone in need of support  

#4 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 06:00 AM

Maybe if you call the therapist and tell him/her when you *can* be there, the therapist will relax the deadline. It sounds like the therapist wants someone seeing the situation, and depressed people tend to drag their feet when it comes to getting things done. Hence, the deadline.

I'm sorry this is happening, and hope you find a way to help! You are a great friend!!!!
#5 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input <3

I got her therapist's name last night.  I called my doula from 2009 who happened to know a doula friend in Manhattan.  Thank goodness for contacts like this.  They've found a recently certified doula willing to work for $20/hr for a temporary help the next two weeks.  I've spoken with her by phone & email and we now have a plan.  We will be up in April or May, and we'll find long-term solutions along with the doula meantime. 

In case anyone needs this, I got info about a postpartum specialty dept at New York Cornell.  It's called Payne-Whitney and it's on 68th St.  Any woman with any postpartum issue can walk in, at any time, no referral, no question of payment.  She now has that as an option if she needs it, or if the doula or therapist deems it is best.

Hoping it all comes together for her...  Thanks again!

#6 of 6 Old 03-31-2013, 01:50 PM

Some great resources on this site:

http://www.postpartumprogress.com/

I met the woman who runs it and she kicks ass. I bet your friend could find great support on the forums there as well as recommendations for services. I'm so glad she reached out to you. Thank you for helping her.

SAHM to 6.5yo DS and 4yo DD. PCOS with two early m/cs. Married 8 yrs. Certified birth doula, writer, editor.

Some stuff I like: hbac.gifteapot2.GIFeat.gifnocirc.gifbftoddler.giffemalesling.GIFcrochetsmilie.gif read.gifcat.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page