(yet another) Moving to Syracuse (post) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everyone,

We'll be moving in August. I saw a bunch of older posts (from c. 2010) so thought I'd put out a more contemporary feeler.

From what I can tell, Syracuse sounds AWESOME, crunchy-friendly, green, and gorgeous. Aside from the cold (we're moving from coastal Morocco!), I'm pretty stoked.

I'd love some recommendations on places to live (homesteading friendly... we're looking at laundry lines for sure, and chickens and bees eventually), nearer to Le Moyne if possible; insight on CSAs (is there a good dairy co-op?); and any other helpful tips or links that will help me direct all of my excitement into actual planning and making connections.

Thanks!

Peace,

Emily

#2 of 5 Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)

Hi Emily! I'm not in the area but wanted to bump your post up for attention. 

Anyone have any recommendations or info to share? 

#3 of 5 Old 05-25-2013, 06:51 PM

Hi.  I am from close to Syracuse. You can have hens in Syracuse but roosters are a no go, and even with hens you want to make sure your neighbors are okay with them. 

Syracuse Real Food Co-op is great, small but awesome!   There is a local farmers Market with some organics. Regional Market on Park St in Syracuse. Open Thursday 10-2 and Saturdays 7a-2p. 

There are quite a few different CSA's in the area.  

We get our milk at Greyrock Farm in Cazenovia as they are the only local raw dairy that is organic and NYS certified (which is only legal way to sell in NY).

There is a Syracuse Attachment Parenting Yahoo group and I run a bulk food co-op Real Food CNY. If you want to join either of these please pm your email addy and I will send you invites. 

Any other info I can help you with? 

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

#4 of 5 Old 07-04-2013, 07:45 PM

Any recommendations on a doctor for my kids that's open to us being non-vaccinating?

#5 of 5 Old 07-05-2013, 06:03 PM

Actually.... Dr Anderson is AWESOME and today opened for taking new patients. I would call quick though before she fills up again. (She hasn't accepted new patients in almost 3-4 yrs so this is a great opening.  We have taken our family there for over 5yrs now and love her!

This is email I rec'd from them today... Dr. Lori Anderson is now accepting new patients at The Synergy Center in Manlius. From now until 7/17 you can call her office at 682-5080 and request to be put on her schedule at the Center. On or after 7/17 you can call the Center directly at 692-2037. Dr. Anderson's first day of seeing patients at the Center will be 7/17.

treehugger.gif Birth and PP doula, Mama to DD (7/04) DS (3/08)    belly.gifwith #3 EDD 11/29/13, and 30+ chicken3.gif , 2 ducks

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page