Maimonides medical center midwives/Brooklyn midwives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-08-2013, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Has anyone birthed with either group? THoughts on the Brooklyn Birthing Center? I'm asking on behalf of a friend. 

Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. ~Dylan Thomas

<3 LBM <3 AHM <3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 05-10-2013, 08:56 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

I don't have anything to share about this particular center but wanted to bump your post up for attention. 

Anyone have any info to share? 

#3 of 4 Old 06-13-2013, 05:39 PM

I am currently with BBC, and l am looking for a homebirth midwife, instead. I have only had an orientation and an appointment, so I do not have extensive experience. But, my impression is that they are spread too thin.

My first appointment took close to FOUR hours; lots of waiting and then waiting some more. I am healthy and this was a routine first visit that did not even require a pap. I had to call repeatedly to get a referral for the U/S that they wanted me to do, and then when I got the referral and went to the location for the U/S at the scheduled time I had to call BBC again to fax the referral form.

So, I have really been negatively impressed, so far. I think we are not a good match and feel that my time and energy is not respected.

treehugger.gif and geek.gif walking a path illuminated by our coolshine.gif5/08coolshine.gif 8/11 3rdtri.gif due in 1/14

brokenheart.gif6/10 brokenheart.gif10/10 

#4 of 4 Old 06-24-2013, 09:10 AM

Ugh, @cparkly, I'm sorry to hear that BBC was so chaotic. I gave birth there about a year ago (I just stumbled on this post while looking for something else -- not pregnant again!) and had a very good experience. Never had to wait long at my appointments either. I do think they went through some MAJOR personnel changes in the last 2 years and I know they just did a large physical expansion of their space, so that might explain (if not excuse) the chaos. 

If I ever have another one I'd really like to be able to consider BBC again, so I sincerely hope your experience was a fluke, or that they get their act together. The midwives and staff there were really very caring and competent in my experience.

To the OP: I would recommend that your friend at least give BBC a try/check them out and see what she thinks. 

If you are looking for hb midwives, my friend just had a great birth with Kristen Leonard. I don't know her, so just passing along that info.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page