Suggestions for birth center in philly area that will do waterbirth vbacs - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 06:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi

I am newly pregnant and am in the philly area and am willing to travel somewhat.

This is my 4th pregnancy. My 1st and 3rd were vaginal and my 2nd was a c/section.

So this would be my second vbac. Does that help in terms of finding someone to work with me? I wanted to get some feedback before making calls and checking things out.

Thanks, Diane

#2 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 03:40 PM

Unfortunately, I don't think there is a birth center in PA that will do any type of VBAC. 

Heathertreehugger.gif
Mama to 5 (b17,b11,b9,g6,b4)

Our Final Addition stork-suprise.gifarriving in Mid June 2014

#3 of 13 Old 05-14-2013, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Does that mean that my only option would be a homebirth? Or are there any birth centers in close to PA in neighboring states that would do a vbac?

Thanks, Diane

#4 of 13 Old 05-21-2013, 03:05 PM

I believe Midwifery care associates (pam/louise/heather) will do vbac at capital health in Hopewell NJ, which is about 45 minutes from philly. Its my understanding they are a very natural birth friendly hospital. Other than that I don't know of any actual birth center that will permit a vbac. Good luck in your search and with your pregnancy and birth.

#5 of 13 Old 05-21-2013, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

For several years at least, AABC didn't permit VBACs except in the context of a clinical trial, which didn't exist. They reversed that, but many birth centers still won't do VBACs because of their agreements with doctors and hospitals.

The only BC I know of that does VBACs is Birthcare in Bart (Lancaster County, probably too far unless you're west of Philly already) and only for second VBACs. Or so I was told a couple of years ago. I do know the same midwives attend VBACs at the hospital in Ephrata. 

Also, I don't know of PA CNMs that will do HBAC because of their practice agreements, again. You'd need to use a CPM. 

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#6 of 13 Old 06-04-2013, 11:25 AM

Sorry if this is late--- the Reading Birth Center will allow you to do a VBAC if you have had one successful VBAC previously. I recently had a friend who had her third (1st cesarian, 2nd VBAC in hospital) at the Reading Birth Center and she just loved it so, so much. She said it was worth the drive for her.

LauraBenack likes this.

Me: New mama to DD born 11/17/2009. We And:
#7 of 13 Old 06-05-2013, 03:39 PM

Agreed. I'm an area doula and also used Reading Birth and Women's Center. <3 them!
#8 of 13 Old 06-06-2013, 11:16 AM

Following. Am expecting as well and exploring all options that feel comfortable after a c/s and a unsuccessful VBAC. Thanks.

#9 of 13 Old 07-15-2013, 06:26 PM

What have you decided - if you are at liberty to say. :) We're still consulting but have a good sense of fit with what I need so that is helping my decisions along.

#10 of 13 Old 07-16-2013, 06:22 PM

This is great to hear! I'm newly pregnant and am also looking to have a VBAC. I'm pretty close to Reading. Do any of you have pediatrician recommendations in the Reading/ Schuylkill County area? I'm not thrilled wih our current one.
#11 of 13 Old 07-17-2013, 03:09 PM

We use Dr. Scearce in Hegins. She is okay with delayed vaccine schedule (or forgoing them altogether) and isn't reactionary. She's laid back and reasonable. I'd ask for recommendations from Jen Stevens at RBWC if you are closer to Reading than Schuylkill.
#12 of 13 Old 07-17-2013, 03:39 PM

We're actually just outside of Schuylkill Haven so they would be about the same distance most likely. I'll check with her also! Thank you so much!!!
#13 of 13 Old 07-18-2013, 05:31 PM

Slmmclusky, I'm only about 20 minutes from you. Feel free to call, or pm me, if you need any area information on birth services around here.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page