Cost of Hospital Birth in Philly Area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 05-17-2013, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello,

I am due with Baby #2 in early December.  We had Baby #1 at Pennsylvania Hospital (vaginal birth), and were absolutely pleased with the hospital as far as the birth experience goes (not so pleased with breastfeeding support).  I saw the Penn Midwives right up until the last week, when I developed pre/eclampsia and saw the doctors, who delivered the baby the next day; I was very pleased with both the midwives and the OBs I saw.

We had Blue Cross Blue Shield; in fact, we each had it through our jobs (I stayed insured so I was actually double covered) and so the birth cost nothing (in fact, in the end, I was refunded the single $35 copay I paid for prenatal care).

I had an idea at the time that I was fortunate, but no idea how much so.  We now have AmeriHealth, and I am wondering how much this is going to cost.  The details are a bit murky.  

I don't expect anyone here to have exactly the same experience but -- I'm wondering, does the cost of birth differ from state to state, hospital to hospital?  We live in NJ but used the hospital in Philly.  Technically,  I guess Delaware would be an option, too.

We could go to a NJ hospital -- Virtua, Cooper, maybe Elmer, etc., or Penn again (which I'd really really like to do), maybe St. Francis or Christiana in Delaware; I'm sure we have other options, too.  I'm afraid I might not be eligible for the Wilmington birth center because of my previous experience with pre-ecclampsia ... 

Thanks for any advice or information!  

#2 of 3 Old 05-20-2013, 11:25 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Generally speaking, what matters is not what the hospital charges, but what your insurer pays. As an example, my OB billed over $6K for my global charge (prenatal+CS). BCBS paid $4000. 

What is paid is going to vary from insurer to insurer as they all contract at different rates. Each hospital contracts separately, but the variation is usually not terribly huge. 

I'm a couple of hours west of you so can't comment on Philly specifically--also I had a high risk pregnancy and was admitted for observation at one point so my total bills were high. 

Generally speaking your cost share should be capped (e.g. I have a $500 deductible then I pay 10% of charges until I've paid another $1000) and most births will cost more than your cost share unless you have a very high deductible plan. (like $10K) The only way to come in under $5K would be to have a home birth and avoid all facility charges. 

DD 01/2007, DS 09/2011

#3 of 3 Old 05-20-2013, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thanks!  I have to really look at the details, and I'm freaking because apparently we have a 7000 deductable, of which my husband's work pays 40%, and then we pay a percentage (more than 10%) of everything after that.  It sounds really awful actually, so awful that I have no idea what we are going to do.  

I had pre-eclampsia last time, so hoping this one goes more smoothly, but ... thinking about money is probably not helping my blood pressure!!!  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page