Moving to New Brunswick NJ from Russia for half year. Need practical tips - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 08-07-2013, 02:50 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My husband has got research grant at Rutgers University, and we are moving  with our 2 schoolchildren for 6 months. I am acquiring as much information as I can on the Internet, but still I am worried about some practical issues 

Can we get without a car if we stay near the campus (within 3 miles), and use mainly public transportation, and taxi on occasions ( I guess you can make it in big cities but.in New Brunswick?) (taking into account that we will have to make family shopping for foods, clothing, etc.

What area  near Rutgers Univ. NB should we look for rent? I'll be happy if anyone could advise me on this. Besides, we will have to rent a furnished apartment, for a limited period of 6 months, and at a moderate price. Is it more difficult to rent a furnished apartment than an unfurnished? What can be the real price for a 2 bedroom, and what the quality of furniture should I expect? (Our income will be appr 3,000+ a month, not too much, but I believe we can make it)

And most of my worries are my two children, particularly the older boy 14yo, as our school curriculum differs a lot . What grade he will be assigned to,  do schoolchildren have an opportunity to study German at public schools? what is the sample curriculum?

Any issues that you find important, any practical advise is very welcome. Thank you all, ladies

#2 of 3 Old 08-07-2013, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)

http://www.walkscore.com/NJ/New_Brunswick That area is supposed to be easy to walk. Most 2br apts run $1200 to $1800 there (a high cost of living for sure). Furnished is less common, but rental stores offer leases on a home full of furniture for about $300 to $500 a month. 6 months leases narrows your choices but some buildings do offer them. Try http://www.rent.com/ to search.

All the public school systems are on or going to common core now, NJ had it for 3 years already so: http://www.corestandards.org Age 14 would be starting 9th grade most likely, high school freshman, depending on his birthday. Language courses vary place to place, German isn't always offered, usually Spanish and often French are, sometimes German and other languages.

TaniaKon likes this.
#3 of 3 Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Thank you, JamieCatheryn, for responding.

In fact, I'm working through all these websites, but you see when you have no previous experience in living in another country, every-thing scares, I have never rented an apartment ( we own since we married) and I have never rented a furnished apartment (except for vacations). Besides, some lease companies state "furnished available" or "unfurnished available" and do not specify prices for these option, that's why I was asking.

In the topic where girls share their budgets many cite their rent at $800-900, and I thought  that information on the Internet was incomplete and I had to look somewhere else. It would be great if someone shares her practical experience about renting furnished, or living in this area, or bringing kids to school in this area. Anyway, I appreciate every word of support and advise.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page