New to NEPA ... looking for a homeschool coop, homebirth midwife, no-vax friendly ped, and dentist. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Tried searching the forum, but didnt find anything recent.

Would really prefer a CNM (vs. CPM) due to insurance, but I cannot seem to find one up here that does homebirths.

Would love recommendations for a no-vax friendly pediatrician and a dentist.

Thanks!

Sarah
#2 of 5 Old 09-09-2013, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I wanted to bump it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have a recommendation to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 5 Old 09-09-2013, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)

I don't have any suggestions but since you mentioned a homebirth midwife, I'm thinking you are planning on at least one more child.  Maybe go to an LLL meeting if there is one in your area?  There's a map here: http://lllofeasternpa.org/AreaMap.html  I don't know what county you're in so I don't know if there will be one by you, but it's worth a shot.  You are likely to find mamas there w/ similar priorities to you.

Best wishes,

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#4 of 5 Old 09-15-2013, 08:03 PM

Most of the midwives that do home births in PA are not CNM's.  I know some women have had good results getting at least the bulk of the charges covered by insurance as prenatal care.  For the NEPA region I recommend Jennifer McFarland.  She is a DEM.

ribbonpurple.gif  Proud Single Mama, Birth & Postpartum Doula

Student, Aspiring CNM 
treehugger.gif  DD ~ 1/7/09   shamrocksmile.gif  DS ~ 9/22/10

#5 of 5 Old 10-26-2013, 08:34 AM

Hi there! I know your post is a little old now, but I thought I would throw out Larice (not sure on the spelling, might be Laurice) Dunning of Allentown, PA. She once delivered in the hospitals in that region but is now only doing homebirths, and she will serve NEPA. There might be an extra cost associated, I'm not certain. But I think she's worth consulting and seeing if she would be a good candidate for what you're looking for. Valley Midwives is the website. Good luck!

We are not completely against vaccinations (we do some, though not all that CDC recommends). We've been using our pediatrician for 8 years now. He is Dr. Rodger Sayre of Geisinger Tunkhannock. It's a 40-minute trip for us, but we appreciate and value his wisdom. (He is a father to 11 children!) If that is a no-go, a midwife I have used in this area has recommended Dr. Michael Rogan of Geisinger Scranton (I believe the office is near Lake Scranton, if you know where that is).

The only homeschool co-op/group I know of right now is Salt & Light of Tunkhannock, PA. I am beginning 2nd grade now with my oldest child, so I'm still a bit of "newb" in this realm. I don't think Salt & Light do a website or anything, so if you're interested, maybe send me a PM and I can put you in direct contact with someone? I just joined this year and so far, I've really just been getting the newsletters. I haven't been able to attend a meeting yet. :-/

I haven't been to the dentist in far too long. My husband was laid off from his job back in 2011, so ever since the loss of our dental insurance, we've been seldom getting there. We used to see Dr. Gronsky on W. Market St. in Scranton. Good guy.

Welcome to the area! Hope this helps!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page