NYC Homebirth Midwives - advice and reviews? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 12-18-2013, 09:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just found out I am pregnant with my second child and after a non-complicated hospital birth with number 1, I want to try a homebirth with this one. I had my heart set on Stacey Rees, but she is on vacation the whole month of August (I am due August 27). So are Kristen Leonard and Joan Bryson and JJB Midwifery (Martine Jean-Baptiste and Karen Jefferson are booked with August babies). So far, the only two midwives who have responded positively are Marcy Tardio and Barbara Bechtel. I've read some great reviews of Marcy and we are scheduled to meet in the new year. But I can find almost nothing on Barbara. Has anyone used her or know someone who has? I'd welcome more feedback on Marcy too. Or other suggestions! I've mostly been emailing folks and realize I need to get on the phone since I have not heard from several I emailed a few days ago. I so, so want this to work out and even though it is turning out that August is a rough time to book a hb midwife in NYC, I am crossing my fingers. Thanks for sharing any advice or stories!

#2 of 19 Old 12-18-2013, 10:50 AM

Did Kristen suggest Barri? Because I birthed with Kristen for my first homebirth and was upset that she couldn't work with me (though she was remarkable and kind) and she suggested Barri, her own backup- and I met with her and am VERY happy already.  Even though I'm just at 6 weeks, I have been as sick as I have been in my life and Barri's attention and attitude and care has been a godsend. 

crowningcomforts@gmail.com - Barri. 

I found her response to be warm, instant, and she has the level of experience and non-political attitude I look for.  GOod luck!

#3 of 19 Old 12-18-2013, 10:51 AM

I also think it says something if you havne't heard from someone within a few days.  I would not hire anyone that waited that long.

#4 of 19 Old 12-18-2013, 12:30 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for the recommendations! I've already written and received a response from Barri! Very impressive! We are finding a time to meet in the new year.

#5 of 19 Old 12-18-2013, 01:39 PM

You can tell her it's Carissa- I forget the threads are odd names.   Glad we are both NYC and so close in due date!

#6 of 19 Old 12-18-2013, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Likewise! Thanks again for responding so soon and I'll let you know how it goes when I meet with Barri! And it's Kathryn, btw!

#7 of 19 Old 12-19-2013, 04:21 AM

And if you have any questions for her before your meeting I wouldn't hesitate to ask - it can be hard not being attached to someone yet when things come up!

#8 of 19 Old 01-08-2014, 10:28 AM - Thread Starter

By the way, Carissa, I just met with Barri today and I loved her. I am interviewing one other midwife on Friday, but it is hard to imagine a better fit than with Barri. Thanks for the recommendation!

#9 of 19 Old 01-12-2014, 05:03 PM

We are due in August and using marcy! I was nervous knowing how difficult finding a hb midwife could be!!
#10 of 19 Old 01-12-2014, 08:36 PM

I had a homebirth with Marcy in August and recommend her very highly! She's not a soft, sweet, squishy type of person so if that's what you're looking for it might not be a perfect fit. But I can say that I had a very long difficult labor and she was a godsend. Everything she suggested seemed like the most horrible difficult thing I could imagine and then I would do it and magically it really helped. She also gave me some herbs that made a big difference to the course of my labor and I so appreciate that she has that knowledge and skill set. Also her back up doc is a swell guy and I trust her clinical judgments completely. She's a bit forgetful is really the only negative thing I can come up with! Call her to meet and see if you guys hit if off. 

#11 of 19 Old 05-02-2014, 04:23 PM

Can I *Bump* this up? I am looking for someone now and Marcy will be away in November and Miriam is booked. I hope it's not a baby boom and I can't find anyone!!

artist mama to lil G, July 31, 2002...
#12 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 03:44 AM - Thread Starter

I'm due in late August and using Barri Malek. She has been wonderful. She has a righteous feminist vibe, but is super knowledgable with 25+ years of birthing experience in a variety of settings. I've also heard *amazing* things about Stacey Rees and Kristin Leonard, both of whom are on vacation in August so not an option for me. Good luck!

#13 of 19 Old 05-03-2014, 04:32 AM

Thanks! They are all on my list but Kristen is booked.

artist mama to lil G, July 31, 2002...
#14 of 19 Old 05-06-2014, 04:32 PM

I'm using Valeriana. She does Manhattan too.
#15 of 19 Old 06-04-2014, 08:25 AM

I met with Marcy and Stacey Rees. Ended up choosing Stacey because (1) I had a friend give birth with her and had everything lovely to say about it, and (2) the fit just seemed better. Marcy would have been an awesome choice too, though. She seemed down to earth and knowledgable, just didn't click instantly with her like I did with Stacey.

Hoe this helps for people searching! I can come back and update when I give birth in a few weeks

Mac + Nick Expecting someone new in late June 2014.  Remembering our 3    1 * * * 4 * * * 8 * * * 12 * * * 16 * * * 20 * * * 24 * * * 28 * * * 32 * * * 36 * *  40 * * 43
#16 of 19 Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 AM

I chose Stacey as well!
#17 of 19 Old 06-05-2014, 12:12 AM

Moving this to the regional forum so more local moms can see it.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#18 of 19 Old 06-06-2014, 03:43 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I used Valeriana and loved her.
#19 of 19 Old 06-20-2014, 06:21 PM

Any mamas that have birthed recently and have use Stacey Rees or Barri? Any feedback on your experience with them?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page