Family Friendly areas/towns within Commuting distance to Philadelphia - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-01-2014, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We are looking at a job possibility in Philadelphia. I am looking to find an area that is family friendly. My kids love to walk around. Good public transit is a bonus. We would love to be close to Whole Foods or Wegmans. We homeschool, so a nice homeschool community would be a bonus. We have a large family and a mortgage around 200, 000 is probably our max.

Dready Homeschooling Mom 

17 yob

14 yob

10 yob

4 yog

2 yob

#2 of 4 Old 01-06-2014, 08:27 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

It looks like your post might have been missed, so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have recommendations to share? OP, good luck with the job!

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 01-08-2014, 09:32 AM

Collingswood, NJ is very highly rated as a family town.  It is quite expensive, but surrounding towns (Oaklyn, Audubon, Haddon Heights, even parts of Cherry Hill) are more affordable.  If you are near the PATCO, it is a quick high speed line ride into the city.  The biggest problem with NJ is the high taxes, which is part of the reason we still rent.  There are lots of nice natural-appealing stores around here (both a Wegmans and a Whole Foods, and a Trader Joe's.)

Delaware Co, PA is very nice -- it's where I grew up, and there were a lot of homeschoolers.  There are buses, trolleys, and regional rail lines into Philly in various places.  Media is another town highly rated as a family town/small town experience.  Aston is a nice, more affordable town in Delaware Co.  

Newark, DE is also very nice, about a 45 min commute from Center City, but there is a regional rail line into the city.  The University of Delaware is located there, which makes for very nice community events and educational opportunities.  Delaware is WAY cheaper to live in than PA or NJ; property taxes are a fraction of what they are here in NJ.  There are several homeschool groups in DE.  The bus system isn't great, however, and it's a bit of a ride to the nearest Whole Foods or Trader Joe's.  There is a very nice natural food store co-op in Newark itself, though.

Good luck!  

#4 of 4 Old 01-10-2014, 08:01 PM

West Mt.Airy in Philadelphia is a lovely, diverse, community-oriented area.  It is considered Northwest Philadelphia, and it is close to Chestnut Hill, but a bit more affordable.  In my particular neighborhood, there is close access to a co-op, a coffee shop, an independent bookstore, a kids consignment shop, and a little park.  

There's easy access to both the bus and the train, and Wissahickon Park is practically in our backyard. They just opened a Whole Foods in Plymouth Meeting, which is about 15 minutes away.  

There's an elementary school right across from the co-op, and an art studio on the corner.  I'm a member of the Mt.Airy Parents Network, and if you join online, there's all sorts of posts about play dates, baby items, school and pediatrician information, local events, free stuff, etc.  I just love my neighborhood.  If you need more information, I'm here.  Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page