Any Brooklyn mamas here with advice/info/tips? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-13-2014, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are moving to NYC (Brooklyn) within a year to be closer to DH's job. We currently live in the 'burbs of CT, hate it, and miss city life. We've been seriously looking at Park Slope and Windsor Terrace, and though we could afford the area, it's at the top of our budget. We recently came upon Bay Ridge and visited it this past weekend. The kids LOVED it. They loved Owl's Head Park and the neighborhood seemed very safe, family-friendly, yet as not as progressive thinking and bohemian as Park Slope (which is one of the things I love about PS and WT). I heard the public schools were good in Bay Ridge too (we're going the public school route). Not to mention it's MUCH CHEAPER than park Slope or even Windsor Terrace. I know the commute for my DH would be about an hour. He said he is totally okay with that (right now his commute is 2.5 hrs each way) and could work from home one day a week and go to his Brooklyn office a few days too. Anyone know more about bay Ridge? More pros/cons?

Also, any info on other good, safe, family-friendly and affordable areas of Brooklyn? Any tips or words of wisdom? pros/cons of city-living with kids (BTW, we have 3, ages 2, 4 and 7)? I've lived in cities before and LOVED it, but never with kids.

Thanks.

Tired mommy to a 2, 4, and 6 year old!
#2 of 7 Old 01-14-2014, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone?

Tired mommy to a 2, 4, and 6 year old!
#3 of 7 Old 01-21-2014, 08:19 PM

Hi. I don't have a school-aged kid (she's only 3.5 months), but I just moved within Brooklyn, and school districts were a big concern. First and foremost, keep abreast of the city schools on InsideSchools.org. It's where you'll find both parent reviews and testing info. Brooklyn is not just about neighborhood or zone, but also about the zoned school. Some schools are open within a zone, others will only take kids in a specific area within the overall zone. The better the school, the less likely they are to be open to a greater area. I just moved from Park Slope to Clinton Hill, so many reasons why, but cost of living was a huge factor. Park Slope has one of the best schools in Brooklyn - PS321, and another great one, PS107, but you have to make sure the address you move to is specifically zoned for the school you want. There are blah schools, according to reputation and test scores, in Park Slope. Not sure about schools in Windsor Terrace, but it's super pretty and MUCH closer to "city" life than Bay Ridge. If you Google Bay Ridge for kids, you'll discover some interesting articles: it's been named the part of Brooklyn to raise the happiest kids. However, it's public schools aren't known to be great - in the same articles about happy kids, you can read that most go to private school, and most of those religious. It's super residential, particularly compared to Park Slope and even Windsor Terrace; and it's known for having the old-school Brooklyn neighborhood communities that are lacking, particularly, in areas like Park Slope. That all said, what I hear most from kids and parents in Brooklyn I know, is that every school has it's pros and cons. There are definitely failing schools, but most fall in the middle. And there are parks and playgrounds EVERYWHERE! Good luck. Definitely check out that website I mentioned.
#4 of 7 Old 02-15-2014, 07:01 PM

We've lived in Brooklyn for a number of years now and love it.  We left our Brooklyn neighborhood of many years and tried Clinton Hill when we thought more space was necessary. Although CH was much more affordable than Park Slope, we didn't love the area (parks were dirty and unsafe, the libraries weren't well maintained, we felt felt isolated, not a ton of activities for kids, not great subway access) and found the schools deplorable.  We're now in the Boerum Hill area and couldn't be happier.  It's not affordable, but we've squeezed into a small space (and I do mean small) so that we can have park access (we're surrounded by parks and community gardens now), access to activities and great schools, etc. We have friends in both Bay Ridge and Windsor Terrace who love those areas.  Bay Ridge isn't as progressive but if you can overlook less progressive views (it can be hard at times) and you can handle the commute time, then it might be for you.  Friends in Windsor Terrace absolutely love the area- tons of families, tons of activities, etc.  We also have friends in Prospect Heights who like the area.  It's not as expensive as Park Slope (although getting there), and tends to be a progressive neighborhood.  It's close to Prospect Park, has an amazing playground (Underhill), and more and more activities springing up all of the time for kids.   Hope this helps.  Good luck! 

stellanyc likes this.
#5 of 7 Old 03-15-2014, 06:01 PM

Hi, I just saw your post. I don't have a lot to offer because I am in manhattan and my kids are not of school age yet.

I'm a recent graduate from an education program and I got to know a wonderful public school in Brooklyn at my student teaching experience. It's called Brooklyn New School, progressive education, very diverse (from staff to families) and truly child oriented. Its at Cobble Hill, which I don't know how affordable it is. The neighborhood is beautiful, the community seemed really great and the shops, cafes and food around were very nice (I mean, thrift stores, antiques, vegetarian options, good coffee...). The school takes students from out of the district too, many of the students got to school by school bus or by a quick subway ride.

Check on ps133 too, it has bilingual programs in French and Spanish. I have friends who commute from manhattan so their kids can attend it.

That is the tiny bit about Brooklyn (with family) I know but since I believe that relocation with kids requires all the info you can get, that is the bit I can share.

Married toguitar.gifstillheart.gif, Mom to angel.gif 02/00, DSrainbow1284.gif blahblah.gif 02/10,  babyboy.gifpos.gif 02/13 and cat.gif07/96 delayedvax.gifgd.gifsigncirc1.giffly-by-nursing1.gifcd.gif

#6 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 06:05 PM

I live in Bay Ridge!  You'll love it here.  There are tons of crunchy types here and many more moving in from the other two neighborhoods you are describing.  We've been here 8 years and sadly will be moving as our 2 bedroom apt is exploding with 4 kids.  So sad to be leaving such a wonderful neighborhood.  There is a Bay Ridge FB group that I totally suggest you join to get a feel for things down here.  The schools are really good on paper, but I will warn you they are not highly progressive.  I've been disappointed in that sense.  The schools are much more creative and progressive in Park Slope than here (former teacher so I've been in many of them)  HTH!

#7 of 7 Old 03-31-2014, 06:07 PM

Here's a link to the FB group.  It's called Bay Ridge Parents https://www.facebook.com/groups/107563276001795/

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page